Author Topic: Showing Brand Names in TV Shows & Movies  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Showing Brand Names in TV Shows & Movies
« on: February 10, 2009, 01:47:08 PM »
I'm wondering what's the protocol for labels and brand names on TV shows and movies, etc.  If people are drinking beer, for instance, you will see all the bottles turned so the name doesn't show.  If you know the product well, you can still often tell by the back label, or shape of the container.

On the cooking channel, the different host will have ingredients already out of the can, so you never see the can.  Or, maybe they use fake labels on the cans - I swear that every cooking show host uses the same brand of tomatoes, in a yellow can with red label. 

On Intervention, it goes even further.  If a person is walking down the street, the camera will blur any shop names in the background, and street names.  And the other day, they even blurred out the image of artwork hanging on the person's walls. 

Is that because of copyrights?  I'd like to understand the laws better.

On the other hand, there are some shows where you DO see the labels.  Is that because the manufacturer has paid for that exposure, as advertising?

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
Re: Showing Brand Names in TV Shows & Movies
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:47:37 AM »
Dunno what it's like these days, but about 10 years ago I had a friend who specialized in "product placement" services.  If an advertiser wanted his label to show, he paid for it. 

I recall quite vividly when Friend told me that a sneaker vendor (not the manufacturer!) had just paid him $20,000 to have a "sale" sign bearing the logo of the store visible behind two characters during a shopping scene. :)  That scene was about 10 seconds long.

Yep.  I think we're in the wrong business! :)

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 09:08:33 AM »
They do cover up the labels on Food Network. I've seen them do it on behind the scenes shows. Especially on 30 Minute Meals. Someone carefully covers up every can with a fake label.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 04:39:19 PM »
I hope Jerry sees this and replies.  I bet he knows, beans as how he's a big movie actor and all.

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:23:49 PM »
I agree with Roark -- it's all about money.  Nothing in a TV or movie production is random, if a label shows you can believe someone paid for that.
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 07:25:09 AM »
I recently commented to my wife that characters on Psych will mention the names of stores during their dialogue.  Most recently they mentioned In-N-Out (west coast burger chain....) & Soup Plantation.  I was curious if they did that to make the show more realistic and/or if the companies mentioned paid for it....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:13:49 AM »
Years ago before I ever thought of acting, I had a best pal, Howard Brown.  Howard produced all the "Cheech & Chong" flicks.  I asked about product placement.  he said he never bothered, they just shot away and what happens, happens.

Logos on clothing are frowned upon.  I avoid it for auditions too.  I don't like wearing logos at all, but yes I do.  When did my bod become a fee billboard.

I saw my granddaughter wearing pants that had "Juicy" emblazoned on the tush.  I was upset LOL!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »
On "Intervention," they blur out logos on T-shirts, too. 

Maybe there is some liability, or sue-ability, if a company does not like it's name emblazened over the chest of someone on that show drunk and shooting up dope. 

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 04:58:22 AM »
Ah HA!!!! REVERSE product placement!  Now this is a concept worth exploring!  You film some real druggie-scum-trash-types doing illegal or goofy things while wearing a logo-shirt.  Just prior to going on nationwide TV, you contact the logo-owner and ask them if they'd like to pay a fee to have your editing staff blurr the  logo.

"Hello... Nike?..."

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"