Author Topic: Blushing bride  (Read 1605 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Blushing bride
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »
Blushing bride

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Blushing bride
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »
That is cool too. I like the white shading into the pale pink. It seems to be standing above the water too.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »
Is that the name of the lily?  Pretty flower, pretty name.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:04:25 PM »
I wish that I had gotten more of the reflection of the lily in that picture.    Also that is not one of my seedlings it is a Perry Slocum hybrid and blushing bride is its name.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:07:42 PM by turtlemike »

Offline Lily

• Members
  • With us since: 22/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »
Really nice picture.  I sell alot of the blushing bride.  Its a really pretty and larger lily.  It looks like your leaves are getting ate by something.  I'll give you a good natural mixture to spray on your plants that will kill aphids, small bugs etc. and won't harm any fish, frogs or plants.  1 TBL liquid dish soap with 1 cup oil.  Put this in a jar and when you use it put it in a spray bottle with 1 tsp to one qt of water.  Works great.  Just a suggestion.  You don't have to worry about the oil because its not much when added with the water and won't harm anything.

Lily :)
www.dragonflyaquatics.com

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »
Wow, thanks a lot Lily, Those holes are caused by waterlily beetles.   I cant remember exactly what there called cause I haven't been into the books for a while.   there a dark silvery gray and black and they eat holes through the leaves and lay eggs on the bottom of the leaves through the holes.  Blushing Bride makes new leaves so slowly that there is a slow turnover of new leaves to replace old bug eaten ones.    My main problem is china mark moth.   this year I'm burning the grass and spike rush etc. down to the ice in order to kill overwintering moths hopefully that will help.   Another thing I'm doing is putting lots of bluebird and  fly catcher nests around the ponds.      I see flycatchers swooping low over the water eating these beetles and moths in summer.           I have 2 questions about your spray mixture.   Regular or ultra dish soap? And what kind of oil and will vegetable oil work?  I guess that's 3 questions.     That spray will come in handy in the greenhouse to kill aphids.           Thanks.        Mike.

Offline Lily

• Members
  • With us since: 22/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »
Regular dishsoap, veg oil is fine.  It might even help with the waterlily beetles. I had them also until I starting using this spray.  They may not like the oil either.  I try different things as I try to stay away from chemicals and it seems alot of my customers want other ideas instead of chemicals also.  Lily

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »
Beautiful. That is one I've had on my wish list for awhile now.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:44:18 PM »
Yep Shanna on mine to along with Gonnere and Mayla, hoping to get all this year.
Lily thanks for the pesticide info.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »
A word of caution on the oil and soap....it can be phytotoxic and you'll burn the heck out of most plants if you do it in sunlight; it is best done at dusk, dawn or an overcast day.  It will burn some just on GP no matter when you spray.

There are products with out there designed to do the same thing, only better.  They contain potassium salts of fatty acids and more than just coating the pest and essentially smothering it, they also penetrate the exoskeleton and disrupt the cellular activity.  I use m-pede (which also has anti-fungal properties), but Safer Soap is probably the better known one, it isn't listed as a fungicide.  My cost per gallon of spray works out to less than .20, so I get a better designed product than veg oil or pam and still not a drain on the wallet.  Here again...the time of spraying is important or you get phytoxicity.

Another reason for their use when there is no sun is that they are only effective when wet, so sunlight can both result in burn and mitigate the activity of the spray.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »
Thanks for the info Craig, I'll have to save that post.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"