Author Topic: New Lotus pond ready to plant.. help from lotus peoples :)  (Read 1302 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Lotus pond ready to plant.. help from lotus peoples :)
« on: October 23, 2006, 09:30:25 AM »
I have the lotus pond dug and lined.. It is about 20" deep and 2 ft wide x 7 ft long.
My questions are should I try to plant my lotus now or wait till spring.  I have 3 in inground pots.  Two I dont think are deep enough to overwinter.  I also have two in pots that will either have to be replanted in the bog or taken downstairs.  I would love to go on and plant them all in there now but am not sure mine are completely dormant yet.  We have had several frosts.. not hard and low temperates and MOST of the leaves are burned and curledl but some are not. 

I was also reading that in the fall lotus send their roots deep.  If I distrub them now and replant will that lessen there chance?

Thanks much for any info!

tinkster

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Lotus pond ready to plant.. help from lotus peoples :)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 09:57:22 AM »
I don't think I would disturb them untill they are completely dormant...what zone are you in....as long as the tubers themselves freeze you should be o.k. also if you can put dome of plastic over the lotus pond that will help raise the temps in it alittle....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:06:53 PM »
Thanks.  I am in zone 6.  We are really going to have a cold week so I am sure by the end of the week I can get it done.

In the 20 inches what ratio should I put dirt vs. water.  I really wanted to be able to add the maximum water so I dont have to water this pond almost daily like I had to fill the tubs.

Tinkster

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »
I think they'll be fine in your new 20" lotus pond.
I would make 3/4 soil:
15" soil, 5" water.
 8)

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:02:31 PM »
I would try to wait until the lotus get hit by a good hard frost and go completely dormant.  Then you'll need help lifting the pots.  What you want to do is lift the pot and slide the entire rootball out and plop it into the new lotus bog without messing with it.  (You could conceivably just put the pot and plant and all in the new pond and then fill with water around it.)

Lotus don't really need water over their crowns . . . the dirt can be almost to the top of the pond if you want it too.  The 15" dirt 5" water thing will work, but you could go 18" dirt and then just keep it wet - the dirt will help hold the water and anything that lands on it will too (leaves and such).

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"