Author Topic: Must be the Angel of Death Flying Over Here  (Read 747 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Must be the Angel of Death Flying Over Here
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
I was going to drain and clean my pond today, but we have "weather" coming, and I was afraid I wouldn't have time to completely clean and change the 1000 gallons before the storms rolled in.

So I cleaned the three tub water gardens instead. 

In the 50gal tub, with lilies and totally covered with w. hyacinth, there are fantails and one mud turtle baby - all three fantails were dead.  One looked like it had been dead a week or so.  The other two looked recent, perhaps within 24 hours.  No signs of injury.

I simply don't understand why so many fish are dying all of a sudden, some with no marks on them.

I was trying to find the turtle, because my guess was that he had escaped and gotten into the koi pond, and that's what caused the bite and other wound to my two kio.  But I found him dead, too!  He was all tangled up in the roots of the water hyacinth.  In fact, it was really odd - the roots had worked their way along the joints inbetween the scales on his shell, and there were tiny root hairs growing up from his shell. 

A mud turtle would normally hibernate on the bottom of the tub, or in one of the lily pots.  I'm guessing he died during the winter and floated up, and then the hyacinth continued to grow, and just grew around and into him.

I am hating myself.  Wish I had brought him indoors for the winter.  He's native to this area and should have survived outdoors, and that's why I left him out.  The other two water turtles (a musk and a sideneck) I have indoors and are doing just fine.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Must be the Angel of Death Flying Over Here
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
 Wow Julles you are having a bad time of it and I'm so sorry it can all be so frustrating....I've been there, but now with as many deaths as you are having.  Have you done any water parameter tests.....ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, KH?  Of the fish that have died did you check the color of the gills?  you could have had a sudden PH crash that caused the deaths in the barrels if you had a lot of rain, or depending if the turtle died first the decaying could have caused an ammonia/nitrite spike. Sudden or prolonged cold?  Have you taken pictures of the injuries of the fish that have them?  You may want to post over at Koivet, but all these things you will have to have.  I wish I could be of more help, it is hard without all the answers and even with them sometimes you just can't figure it out.  I had one of my large koi die last spring....no marks, but the gills were not right, even at Koivet there was question as to why, so I will never know.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Must be the Angel of Death Flying Over Here
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:03:01 PM »
Sorry you are losing fish and the turtle.  I have no idea what the reason for their deaths would be but it sure sounds mysterious.  Could it be the temperature swing plus rain?  I hope not because that is exactly what the weather is like here.  Our pond buddies are holding up well and begging for food the past 2 sunny days.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"