Author Topic: Saucy blooms...  (Read 2219 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Saucy blooms...
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »
Isn't it kinda early for my Saucer Magnolia tree to be blooming?!   :D  I don't record my garden's events but it seems this tree is blooming rather early.  This year's bloom appear to be quite abundant too  @O@

Last week's record breaking heat wave has screwed up my gardens growing/blooming time.  I can barely keep up trimming all the plants before they have new growth!  :o

Enjoy my thrills!

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Saucy blooms...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
Beautiful pictures Annette!   o(:-)

I noticed the other day that they are blooming here too.

When I lived in NJ it seemed like they (Magnolia Soulangiana... did I remember that right?   :thinking:) would bud at the slightest hint of Spring.  Often a freeze would ruin their display for an entire year.  Then I thought how nice it would be to live in the south where southern magnolias bloomed throughout the year and wouldn't be subject to the all-or-nothing blooming habit of the Saucer Magnolia.  So I moved....   ;)  And I have come to find out that the Saucer Magnolia does very well down here and rarely gets zapped by those Spring freezes that occur up north.  Best of both worlds.
Jim

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
It looks great Annette.  Mine has buds but isn't blooming as yet but then again it gets some shade this time of the year.  I noticed that Roger's Gardens cancelled their Camelia show because the warm weather caused an early bloom.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Lynda

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
Mine won't bloom here until about March...sigh.

Mikey, why did you have to go and mention Roger's Gardens?  I'm homesick enough at this time of year...you didn't help my mentioning my absolute favorite nursery to visit!   {-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
Thanks Sonny.  I love this pretty pink saucer mag.  The first time  saw it I was in love.  Couldn't afford it many years ago but about 10 years ago I saw this little sapling reaching out to me....so I took it home  ;)

Thanks Mike.  It seems rather early this year but most likely it was the unusual heat wave we had the past couple of weeks.  My only camelia tree has been blooming since November.  Go figure.

Sorry Lynda, I just came back from Rodger's Garden.  Had to check all the new products and plants.  Hoped to find some steals but ended up buy heirloom poppies.  They're just little leafy plants now.  If they flower for sure you'll get to see them.

Oh I forgot to mention Lynda, I spent 2 hours wandering around the garden by myself, sans DH, and am considering a topiary Meyers lemon tree.  Can't imagine big lemons growing on it though.  May just go patio pot size. (Rubbing it in  mercilessly  ;D just don't hate me)

Offline Lynda

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
I had a Eureka lemon tree in California that had fruit 12 months a year.  I have a potted Meyer here, and I do get a few lemons in the summer...it's living in the heated and skylighted shop building right now and will be until March.  I can't imagine living any further north than here - I think I'd die.  I do have to say that spring here is gorgeous - all the new leaves with their soft green; the wild daffodils and grape hyacinths popping up everywhere; redbuds and dogwoods blooming up in the "mountains" and all over my neighborhood...

But I'm still homesick.  The whole "having to move plants inside" thingie is very inconvenient.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »
Very pretty, my Mom has a Magnolia...blooms are much paler then yours.....it will be a few months before it will bloom, they are pretty just to bad the blooms don't last longer.  Yes she has lost all her blooms to freezes also.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Mikey

• Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »
Sorry Lynda for mentioning Roger's.............Roger's Gardens, Roger's Gardens, Roger's Gardens....   {:-P;; ;D

I also probably shouldn't mention that I picked two bags of lemons today to give to friends.......  {:-P;;
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Lynda

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 07:46:45 AM »
I never did like you, Mikey...you know how I feel about LBPD folks!  You could send some of those lemons my way, ya know...   8-)~

I used to love to go to Roger's on the day after Christmas.  We'd get up a 0-dark:30, wait in line forever, and go through there like Sherman through Georgia...I'd be home by 10:30 in the morning, poorer by far.  They have a great after-Christmas sale!  Oh, I miss that place!  There is nothing like that here, nothing even close.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 03:13:20 PM »
I think this is pretty much the height of blooms I will get out of my saucer magnolia this year.  These photos were taken a couple of days ago before the rain moved in, taking away quite a few saucers. 

Enjoy.  :)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »
OH , WOW ...Beautiful !

bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:48:44 PM »
Thanks Bonnie!  Today many of the petals are on the ground  :(  It's raining on and off and very windy.

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »
 Those flowers are just wonderful o(:-) The magnolia tree was always one of my favs :) My Father would say, after the flowers are gone all you have left is a naked tree! I did not care, I just love them in bloom and out o(:-) One day while driving to work I passed a church, the bride and groom were in a horse drawn carriage. What a beautiful sight, magnolia flowers lined it! I wish I had my camera to capture this beautiful site :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
Thank you Tootsie!  Yeah they get naked but the leaves come out right away.  When the leaves drop for the winter I know that just around the corner there will be beautiful flowers. 

Imagine a row of magnolias!  Wow!

The rain has been coming down all day but the blossoms are still holding on.  I think they like the rain better than the blasting sun.  ::)

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
I love magnolias.  The flowers are huge and sooo fragrant.  I tried growing one here in zone 9 and the heat was too much for it.  However, stores do carry them around here.  Shade and good drainage must be the key.  Those of you in Cali can grow anything.  o(:-)
Alfonso

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »
our weather is so crazy everything is starting to bloom....if a cold snap comes  :(   lorraine
lorraine

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
Thanks Alfonso!  This tree actually had a rough start...lousy soil - clay.  But after about 5 years it started to bolt.  For the past 5+ years it has been doing very well.  Unfortunately the scent is not strong enough to write home about.

Lorraine, we've been have wet weather on and off for the past few weeks and I thought the blossoms would get washed away but so far they're holding tight.   8)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"