Author Topic: One lonely koi?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline PondJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
One lonely koi?
« on: March 01, 2009, 07:24:48 PM »
Ok, so last year I had about 5 koi...not very big at all....(my first fish).  Something ate them all (or so I thought) so I had the pond guy come out and do a cleaning last Feb.  He calls me at work and says "I thought you didn't have any fish" and I said "I don't" and he said "you do!"...one lonely koi had been hiding on the bottom all winter; probably only about 3-4 inches long.  He seemed really lonely so last spring I got him some goldfish to play with...now they are great friends!  (They had babies so now there are more...) I am wondering...is it weird to only have one koi with all those goldfish?  Does he/she need another koi?  Sounds stupid I know, but I would really like to know if it matters.  As you can see he/she has really grown!  (And I'd love someone to tell me what kind of koi it is...sorry I'm so elementary when it comes to koi)  I will be giving away some of the goldfish to friends, so I have room if I need to add a koi, but I was thinking I would just stick with goldfish.  What do you guys think?  Thanks!

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: One lonely koi?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:57:31 AM »
I have the same situation.  I started with 3 koi but lost 2 a few years ago due to my stupid mistake :'(.  Since I have a very small pond I got 2 commets to relpace the koi to keep him/her company.  I need to find a new home for my koi this spring as he/she is way too huge for my pond and I'd like to find someone who would take the 2 commets as well.  They always stay together.  I don't know anything about fish psychology  :D but I would think the transition would be easier with something familiar.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »
That is one beautiful koi to have if you only have one!  It looks like a butterfly!  I'm sure it is fine as the only koi.  Probably feels special with all the attention it gets.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »
Love you're butterfly koi....... o(:-)

bonnie

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
Thank you for your kind words.  I thought it might be a butterfly.....wasn't sure.... I'm pretty attached to it....   o(:-)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
Fish are schooling creatures, and do better with more than one.  It doesn't matter at all that there is one koi and two goldfish - they just like having company.  Koi and goldfish are compatible in needs, speed, size, etc., so they are just fine as buddies.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »
Julles is right, koi and goldfish are both social and enjoy company that's why when QT'ing koi it is best to add a buddy fish as they will be less stressed.  We had one each babies that ended up in our lily pond and they hung out together always, till the heron got them.

fishlipsmcgee, I commend you for trying to find your koi a new home....lots of people get them and don't realize how fast they grow and that they do need larger bodies of water then some ponds can provide.  Goldfish/shubunkins can make just as wonderful and friendly water pets.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"