Author Topic: Pond water  (Read 1405 times)

Offline RiJe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond water
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:25:52 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm building my first pond and was wondering what type of products are used to make the water safe for fish and plants? 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond water
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
I'm sure it depends on the type of water (source) you will use to fill your pond.  You may need dechlorinator to get the chlorine out of the water.

Here is a link to a source I used when I first started seriously ponding: http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Info/Water-Quality
 They also have other useful articles.

Plus there are many Ponders here who know more stuff about this topic.

Welcome to Ponding!
PS - Make sure your pond is as big as you can make it so you don't have to re-do!!

Offline RiJe

• Members
  • With us since: 31/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:43:12 AM »
thanks for the info, that site was really informative.  I'll have to use dechlorinator, then i'll just let the pond run for a while, thanks again for the info

Offline jamis

• Members
  • With us since: 07/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:35:43 PM »
i would get your pond started on a beneficial bacteria, that can make a difference in fish health as well as overall pond health.
--jamis

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »
When I started mine I used a dechlor every time I topped off the pond (every 3-4 days) and after a while I weighed the cost and decided on a charcoal filter.  I got mine at a camping supply, and it's the same one they use for RV's to keep drinking water free of chemicals.  I saw one on a pond supply store and went to a local RV place to get it.

Since then, the only thing I put in the pond every year, a couple times a year, is Algaefix.

I attached the filter to the spigot and connect my hose to it for filling the pond and also for rinsing out the brushes.  It lasts me over a year....I tested the water the other day and the chlorine/chloramines are still very low.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:06:35 PM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:47:22 PM »
I've followed Blind'Too's advice too since last spring.   O0  So much easier and convenient to use the filtered water for topping off the ponds and aquariums. 

How's your pond coming along, RiJe?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"