Author Topic: Hello Old Friends  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hello Old Friends
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:17:01 AM »
Well I've been gone but I never forgot you good people. After Hurricane Rita visited my house we almost had it back to normal when Ike came for a visit. We just thought that Rita was bad, Ike was a lot worse. There were beach cabins that had been standing for 30 years when I was born and took everything that Mother Nature threw at them until this. Twenty foot waves pounded Bolivar Penensula for 12 hours and just swept them all away. They all are completely gone, it's unbelieveable unless you have lived in this area and have seen what I'm talking about. A lot of people died and some are still missing. They found a casket in a cow pasture just last week that floated out of the Bolivar Cemetary.

Again we rode it out in place. I learned from Rita that there is nothing that you can do if you decide to stay. During Rita as the trees fell through my roof, I ran around the house with a flashlight putting buckets under the leaks until the entire bathroom ceiling collapsed and the rain poured in flooding the house. This time I just bought a case of beer and sat on my front porch swing and waited for it. I started this at 3:00PM in the evening. About 6:30 the trees were really waving hard, the winds started coming in ever stronger gusts as the huge feeder bands approached. The power went out before dark.

By 3:00 AM it was really howling and I heard the first big tree go down four houses down. It was awesome, through the howling wind I heard the roots rip out and it fell with a huge thud. I went inside and told my wife to get in the middle of the house, trees were starting to fall and went back outside to watch the show. Flashlights swept the sky as those of us who stayed came out in their yards to look around. I flashed my light at them to let them know that they weren't alone and they flashed back, there was some small comfort there.

Right about daylight a tree on our south side fell on my roof but the walls stood up. The noise was unbelieveable at this point. It was really howling but I had enough Miller Lite in me that I didn't panic. Then came the big one. A really big tree took off the edge of the back bedroom and collapsed our deck.

I have been pretty busy repairing all of this, I did the work myself but the house now looks better than ever. We are going to put in a nice flower/sitting garden in our backyard and I'll document the progress in pictures. We want a nice place with a lot of flowers and things to look at, a bird and butterfly playground.

I'll try to catch up on what's going on here. I have been reading about Braedon's progress and it is a joyfull thing. I just wanted to sign back on and say hello. I still have a lot of work to do but it's good to see you all again.

Bullfrog.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 05:20:24 AM by Bullfrog »

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Old Friends
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 06:09:03 AM »
Hi Bullfrog, we've been missing you!

Man, what an experience you had!  Dont' tell me you live on Boliver?! - you must live somewhere near by, I hope.  Glad your property survived as well as it did, but I am sorry you are now saddled with making all those repairs.  sounds like you have good plans for work beyond the house, with your garden expansion.

How did your pond survive?

People don't realize how bad that storm was, and what destruction was done to homes along the coast.  I know people who are just NOW, finally getting PART of their insurance money.  Have been living in temporary quarters and unable to start repairs, waiting for the "go ahead" from the insurance company, and even the partial payment is a drop in the bucket compared to what's needed to get their homes/businesses back up and operating.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:43:56 AM »
Welcome back. So sorry to hear of the devastation you experienced. So very scary but glad you are OK. Did you have a pond at that time? What happened to it. I remember you but don't remember about your possible pond.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:02:52 AM »
 :welcome: :welcome: BACK !
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
Glad you're back with a wonderful attitude after going through a disaster or two.  These photos are very disheartening.  Can't wait to see your miracle touch.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 01:25:04 PM »
Hey Bullfrog, I had been wondering where you were,,,I didn't know you had suffered hurricane damage.  So glad to hear that you survived it and are making repairs to beautify your place! 

Isn't it nice to know there's a place like this to drop by anytime you want?  And it's open 24/7!!  :D 

Take care... :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:49:51 PM »
Welcome back......I have a friend down there also that I saw her pictures of the devistation, just amazing...they stuck it out also.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »
Welcome Back ...
Sorry to hear you had suffered hurricane damage. Very  Glad to hear that you survived it !

bonnie

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 05:44:22 PM »
This time I just bought a case of beer and sat on my front porch swing and waited for it.
Bullfrog.

Bullfrog, I'm so glad you're back. I've always enjoyed your posts. I don't mean to minimize your post, or what you've gone through, but that statement above is just perfect. Bring on the beer and wait for the show. I've been there, had a '40 tree through my roof, but when you get the "attitude", you realize that there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent nature from doing her damage. Better off observing with a cold one. I'm glad your safe.

And I miss your stories!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 05:41:01 AM »
Welcome back. So sorry to hear of the devastation you experienced. So very scary but glad you are OK. Did you have a pond at that time? What happened to it. I remember you but don't remember about your possible pond.

We were still planning the pond and I was coming here to pick your brains at the time. Then hurricane Rita hit us, we lived like Gilligan's Island without electricity for four weeks. My wife washed clothes in a bucket and hung them on lines that we strung in the front yard. There was mold growing in the walls from the rain intrusion. I had to rip out all of the carpet and a lot of drywall. All of the floors, walls, roof and house in general was ruined. Being a doityourselfer, I was almost done when Ike came a calling.

Hurricane Ike was really a huge storm, it lasted for hours, like 12 hours of sustained winds in excess of 70 MPH with gusts going over 100MPH. But I have really been working my tail off. I have two bedrooms completely redone and they look better than ever. Our old deck is now a screened in room with dimmer lights, satelight TV, DVD player, music, mini fridge, mini bar and even a propane fireplace. We love it and spend every evening out there, it is our haven. My old retired fire helmet hangs on one wall with my gloves, they moved me to Sector 2 and I secreted my old helmet home. I sweated in it and fought a lot of fires wearing it for 15 years. Nobody would want it anyway but it means a lot to me, still it was "company equipment" so shame on me, I took it.  :D

The old office is now a spare bedroom and I'm almost done with it. The walls are painted and I'm ready to lay the floor. The small bathroom that is attached is painted and remodeled. All I have left is the living room, dining room and hallway and they just need new paint. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a long road to recovery but we were really blessed when you consider the people on Bolivar Penensula who stayed.

Nobody expected the water to rise as much or as quickly as it did. Going to remove their keepsakes, a lot of people became trapped as the roads flooded. They climbed up on their roofs and watched the houses around them get pounded into splinters and just washed away into the salt marsh until thier house also collapsed and they found themselve's in 20 foot seas with winds in excess of 100 MPH. I can only imagine what they went through. A woman who works at my plant would not leave her dog and he could not make the trip, he was too old and ill. She called a friend about 8:00 that night and told him that the water was coming into her cabin. He told her to go to his cabin which was higher. She obviously went there, there were muddy footprints inside but for some reason she left and the cabin stood. They found her body in a field three miles away. How she got there had to be an epic struggle towing her dog. These cabins were on pilings 10 feet high or higher, what courage and determination she left as her legacy. The waves were huge and debris filled the water, I don't know how she did it.

A lot of people died, I think the toll is around 35 just on Bolivar and some are still missing. Fishermen are still finding skeletons on Goat Island and pastures six miles inland. Two barges floated 7 miles inland and blocked a highway when the water receeded. Hundreds of head of cattle drowned and the roadside is still littered with cars buried up to the windows in sand. Large yachts and sailboats were sitting in the median on the Highway going into Galveston for months. Fish were trapped in cyclone fences like a gill net when the water finally went down.

Our house got pounded but these people went through hell so I count my blessings. We live here and it is hard for anyone else to imagine the force of this storm and the affect that it is still having on a lot of lives. I hope we get a break this year, we have had a hurricane every year for 3 in a row. Maybe someday when it's all said and done, I'll have my pond.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:47:06 AM by Bullfrog »

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 08:46:31 AM »
3 things

First nice meeting you. I am Jim and welcome back.

Second I love your resolve. Hang in there you seem to be overcoming all.

Third, "Bullfrog" is the best name on the web. Congrats for thinking of it.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 09:05:45 AM »
Glad to see you back, but sorry to hear about the time you had with hurricane Rita.  Best of luck, and please keep us updated!!

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »
3 things

First nice meeting you. I am Jim and welcome back.

Second I love your resolve. Hang in there you seem to be overcoming all.

Third, "Bullfrog" is the best name on the web. Congrats for thinking of it.

Thanks, when I first visited here I tied to think of "what would be in a pond?" for a name. One lady here had just removed a large Bullfrog from her pond and put it in a nearby creek. I took on that role and said, "That was me! Can I please come back home now? Your pond is so nice."

She said "I don't know... I think you ate my Shabunkins."

"I'm allegic to Shabunkins." I told her.

Anyway, this is the most friendly group I have ever met on the net, thanks for making me feel at home.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »
Hey Bullfrog--would that lady be me?  I know I removed one of the biggest bullies I've ever seen from my pond after I saw a fishie tail hanging out of his mouth.  He did come back, but I removed him further from home that last time.....remember this pic?  I think someone said I was squeezing him too hard...hey--he was heavy!  lol 

You can stay if you don't eat my comets --the shubbies are all gone thanks to bully  >:( 

LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »
Bullfrog:

Sounds like you had QUITE a wild ride out there!  We were located on the other side of the storm (west) so we missed some of the more extreme fun you guys had.  Still however, we didn't have power for 17 days, and it was indeed a MESS.  Some damage, but nothing like you folks had.

We're glad you're all right!  Welcome back...

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »
Hey Bullfrog--would that lady be me?  I know I removed one of the biggest bullies I've ever seen from my pond after I saw a fishie tail hanging out of his mouth.  He did come back, but I removed him further from home that last time.....remember this pic?  I think someone said I was squeezing him too hard...hey--he was heavy!  lol 

You can stay if you don't eat my comets --the shubbies are all gone thanks to bully  >:( 

That was me and you were squeezing me way to hard, Bullfrogs are real tender. Just look at my poor eyes bulging out. Sure my belly was big but it was just full of flies and other pesky insects. I'm allergic to comets too. I'll add sweet night music to your pond and won't eat your fish.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:58 PM »
Welcome back Bullfrog. I have missed your stories and wondered what was happening with you and yours. I am so sorry you have been thru so much but at least you got remodeling done and it better than ever. @O@

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
Welcome back! I too enjoyed your posts. Hope to hear that the pond is coming very soon. :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"