Author Topic: Getting rid of a bat?!  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Oceanbum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Getting rid of a bat?!
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:02:28 PM »
We have a bat in a storage room that is below our patio. Seems we have one every year. Last year a snake took care of it for us. But this year we would like to try something a little different. We were at the store and saw a product to get rid of rodents. It was one of those things that uses sonic sounds to run off the rodents. So what do you think? Would this work on a bat?
Becky

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of a bat?!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »
I don't think those things work. 

The thing is, because you can't hear it, you have no idea if it's working or not, and if the bat goes away or stays, you don't know if it's the electronic gizmo or some other factor.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
Can you see it?  If so, during the day, just put on gloves and relocate it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »
Where does it stay? I assume it kinda hangs somewhere. If it is inside, I would bet that mothballs would discourage him. Try Googling getting rid of bats. I saw one in our garage the other day and it was still pretty cold out. I don't know how he got in there or if he left.

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
I don't know how to get rid of the bat but I can tell you that a bat can come in a crack no wider than the flat side of a quarter!  We used to get them big-time in our WI cabin.  We got expert advice and located all the cracks between the logs, sealed them and left one opening right over a back door that was convenient to observe.  Then we hung a bat net over the hole. 

Bats can climb down but they can't climb up.  So, every night at dusk, the bats would leave by crawling down this net but they couldn't get back in.  The number of bats decreased greatly but when we would see some go out we would go around and look for the tiny sliver of a crack they used to get in and seal that one.  You could tell the crack was used because it would have a little black oil from the bat where it pulled itself into the hole.  Eventually we got so we hardly ever see a bat coming out and we don't even bother looking on a regular basis.  We do keep the net up though.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
Bats are great citizens to have around - they eat mosquitoes and moths and other pests. But they can carry rabies, even the vegetable eating bats can contract rabies from fleas, and there is a mold that grows on bat-poop that is a real threat.

Try building a bat condo outside the house. The bat should prefer it to your basement. :)

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 05:21:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies!! I was kinda figuring they didn't work, but I knew you guys were the ones to ask!!!!

This storage room is almost like a bomb shelter. Actually our realtor told us it was!!! It's about a 20 X 20 block room with a wooden sliding garage door (OLD, OLD, OLD!!!). It has a patio on top of it and storage below it. It's a GREAT room. We love it. It holds the lawn mower, all the garden tools, one of the motorcycles, right now a golf cart, you name it, it's probably in there!!!! It's just not at all air tight, so the bats can get in just about anywhere. As far as where we have seen them, they have hung out on the wall, on the light bulb in the center of the room, on the sliding door (that one didn't last long - one slide of the door took care of him!!!  :o ), in an old boat we used to have stored in there, just about anywhere they could find to hang or hide. But it's usually only one at a time. Thankfully!!!!  ::)  As far as relocating, that is NOT an option!!!!  :o  I can't see that happening ANY time soon!!!!!  We know they are good for keeping the mosquito population down but it's just a bit unnerving to go in the storage room, flip on the light, begin looking for whatever it is you are looking for and then hear "eek, eek, eek" and then think, "OK, where is it?" It's kinda creepy!!!  :o  I have visions of it swooping down and attacking me. It has never happened but it still creeps me out. And yes, we have found bat dung on the floor and that also creeps me out. I would just like to find a way to get them to move on for good.

We have tried smoke bombs, firing up the lawn mower and leaving it running, firing up the old Harley and leaving it running (that should have run it out with the noise alone!!!!), and a few other things that I can't think of right now. They did fly out but came back after the smoke cleared!!!

The snake last year did the trick but it didn't fare too well itself. Hubby was mowing and when he put the mower away he realized about 10:00 he forgot to shut the garage door so he went down to shut it. He went to pull the garage door shut and it wouldn't shut. He pulled and tugged and pulled and tugged and said it seemed to be off track. He shined a light up in the track to see what the problem was and saw the snake up in the track and decided oh, I'm not messing with that!!!! (Or, something to that effect!!!!  :o ) So he came back up to the house. He went back down a couple hours later and saw the snake dangling out of the track and thought it was dead and decided to mess with it in the morning. The next morning he went down to clean up the mess and the snake was gone!!!!!  :o :o :o  But here's where the bat comes in!!!! The dead bat was laying below the door!!!!! The snake had killed the bat!!!!! A few days later he did find the snake, nearly cut in two coiled up around the kickstand of his Harley.
Becky

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 06:04:10 AM »
There were bats in the attic of my son's house in town. He was told to put rags soaked with ammonia up there but seeing he didn't have inside access, he didn't do it. A few times one would get into the house. Eventually they put a new roof on and when that was being done they must have closed off the accesses for the bats because they didn't have them any more.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »
well, you could invite the bat to post on AP and then once it does have Sean ban it for life.   lol  {nono}  {:-P;;
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 09:51:21 AM »
Ocean Bum, that was a long post, and I wasn't going to read it.  But I'm glad I did - What a story!!  What a snake!

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »
We may try the ammonia, Esther. I hadn't heard that. May keep the mice out, too.

Too funny, Blind 'Too!!!  O0  ;D  @O@

Julles, sorry, I know I was a bit windy on that last post!!!!  ::)  But I'm glad you enjoyed the story!!!
Becky

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"