Author Topic: Is anyone planning on buying a new car?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Is anyone planning on buying a new car?
« on: March 20, 2009, 05:54:44 AM »
I really like to write and even though I tend to play the class clown here, can get serious when I need to. I've been writing three books. I go from one to the other and take my time. I hate to admit it, but I sold new cars way back when and I'm compiling all of that experience into a book. I won't post it all here but it is really usefull information and I'd like some constructive criticism. I'll PM a chapter at a time if anyone is facing the prospect of swimming with the sharks any time soon.

Buying a new car remains to be an exercise in frustration. All of the doubletalk and game playing is enough to drive a normal person crazy. It's no secret that you are probably going to get lied to yet still we have to deal with it if we want a new car. I have a lot of good tips and the secrets behind the shell game that they play.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone planning on buying a new car?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 06:26:02 AM »
Its worse than buying horses. :(

I want a Prius, but am coming up with lots of excuses not to go...

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »
I just bought a Suburban right before Christmas.  They tried to screw me on my trade in but I showed them that I wasn't getting screwed on it and I was ready to leave.  They wanted to give me $7,500 for a 2005 trailblazer extended LT, I don't think so.  They sold it a couple days later for $13,000.  Just goes to show how rhey will rip you off if you let them.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:59:43 AM »
I have worked for new car dealers in the past, and what a sham a lot of it is.

Here are some things that I remember:
Don't get pinstripes, custom wheels, custom stereos or anything else that didn't come on the car originally.  That's where the dealer makes their profit.  Pinstripes applied by a professional?  $6 per car.  Your cost for pinstripping?  $100+.  The salesmen rely on that sort of thing to make some coin for themselves.

We had a new owner once who would hire 30 new car salespeople every month.  He'd have a one-day training class, and he would lose a few that day.  The rest would work their butts off for zero commission the first month.  All new car sales commissions went to him, not the salesperson.  He'd lose most of the salespeople after the first week because he would work them over 80/week.  The second week, he'd lose most of the rest, and by the last week of the month maybe one person would still be there.  Time for a new training class promissing "lots of potential if you're willing to work hard".  

One guy I made friends with came to say good-by after two weeks.  He had gone home and his wife packed her bags and the kids and told him, "it's either us or your job...which is more important?"  He chose the more important, of course.  I finally got tired of the owners and their crap so I left.  A friend of mine told me that he was hired to be their new parts manager, and I told him he wouldn't like it there and told him some stories.  He was excited and the very first day he went to work to be the manager he was greeted by the feds at the front of the lot, and told that the dealership was closed and under investigation.  Lots of stuff going on there.  I heard one story that there were a lot of new cars being stolen.  When some of them were found they actually had the same ignition cylinder and key that came with the car new.  Turned out that sales were slow so someone made extra keys and cars were being driven off the lot so they could collect the insurance money.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
I absolutely hate entering a dealership and having to deal with those yard monkeys and their game-playing.  I know what a mouse surrounded by cats feels like.  I have had only one pleasant experience buying a car and that was with a dealership (Ford) that actually had a set price on all their vehicles.  No bartering.  No salesman saying he has to run it by the manager.  No discussion of trade ins.  No pressure to get optional crap we don't want.  We called around to several other dealerships and couldn't beat their price.  Sadly, that dealership has gone under otherwise I would have purchased my next car from them as well.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"