Author Topic: Recommendations for a Drawing program for pond sketches?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Lawrence of PA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Recommendations for a Drawing program for pond sketches?
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »
I'm looking for recommendations  for a drawing program for pond sketches -- filtration layout, etc.  Google Sketchup seems difficult; I can't get it to do what I want.  Right now, I'm at the graph paper and colored pencil stage, but it makes changes too laborious.  Ideas?

Thanks.  Larry
Larry

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a Drawing program for pond sketches?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
I took a look at it and there are several training videos that should help you out with about anything that you want to do.  My background is CAD (UG/NX) so it looks like a very simplified version to me but maybe I am not such a good judge for someone new to using design software.  If you are just trying to do plans, drawings, etc. maybe you could stick to 2D rather than 3D.  Maybe just take the time to go through the training videos and play around with it a little and I bet you will find it a lot more user friendly.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:49:56 PM by fishlipsmcgee »
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 01:20:24 PM »
I use auto cadd. My son uses a photo shop program. Both of these are high dollar. Maybe local high school art or architecture classes can help. They love projects too.

Offline Lawrence of PA

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, I think 2D is the right way to start.  I've looked at a lot of training videos, and they all seem to start in 3D.  For a pond sketch, I don't need 3D right now.  I have "Sketchup for Dummies" on my Amazon list. ;)

Larry
Larry

Offline reddad35

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »
I wanted to add I simply have access to the program I listed I did not buy them. Cadd is probably the most powerful tool for deIgn work. It can be used 2d or 3d and most high school tech program/community college program have this in their system somewhere. You could help your community while helping yourself.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:37:39 PM by reddad35 »

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »
I use CAD, which is the proper annotation.  ;)
My program is called Eaglepoint LandCAD for professional landsape designers.
It's very unuser friendly for anyone not familiar with CAD.

Here's some reviews of cheaper, more user friendly types...
http://landscaping-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »
I use CAD, which is the proper annotation.  ;)
My program is called Eaglepoint LandCAD for professional landsape designers.
It's very unuser friendly for anyone not familiar with CAD.

Here's some reviews of cheaper, more user friendly types...
http://landscaping-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Acronym for computer-aided design and drafting. CADD systems are CAD systems with additional drafting features. For example, CADD systems enable an engineer or architect to insert size annotations and other notes into a design.

You are right though Cad would be fine too because you do not need the extra features with your simple application either probably.  O0

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »
If I'm working on a design for a trough or structure, I use a 2D paint program but if I'm designing a garden or pond, I use 3D Landscape and Deck. It is the best, non-professional, 3D software that I have found and it's fairly simple.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »
I found this as a free download from windows. I will download it too and see how it works. It seems to be a lite version of CADD. Joyce if the annotation is wrong see Bill Gates and give him a wink.

http://www.generalcadd.com/whatisgcp.htm

I think this might be what you want. If you have any problems give Joyce a call, If it is something that is not on her CAD program I will help.

lol

Joking

If you need any help give me a call anytime.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »
I found this as a free download from windows. I will download it too and see how it works. It seems to be a lite version of CADD. Joyce if the annotation is wrong see Bill Gates and give him a wink.

http://www.generalcadd.com/whatisgcp.htm

I think this might be what you want. If you have any problems give Joyce a call, If it is something that is not on her CAD program I will help.

lol

Joking

If you need any help give me a call anytime.

I actually went through some of the tutorials and you are getting a version free that is similair to a pro version. There are a ton of tutorials and you are only a message away to having an answer if you can't figure it out. I think this is a good deal. Most of the features of a many thousand dollar program for free and many people that can help guide you through any troubles the tutorials can't get you through. I recommend this to most people that have design ideas they want on paper.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 06:56:14 AM »
I was talking about using capitals Red.  ::)
When you are using initials or acronyms, you use CAPITAL letters to represent the words.  :doh:
Are you starting with me again?   {nono}
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Lawrence of PA

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 07:24:10 AM »
Joyce,  it seems i use fewer capitals, since it's easier to type lower case.  r u wth me?   ;)  As a power plant engineer,  I used to acronym everything to death.  One of my pet peeves was treating acronym plurals as possessives; for example: MRI's for more than one MRI.   {nono}
Larry

Offline Lawrence of PA

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 08:20:26 AM »
I just downloaded, installed and then uninstalled GeneralCADD.  As with so many others, the download is free, but if you want to save a file, the software costs $600.  :o

I'm back to reading the Sketchup manual.  It's only 887 pages so I should be done by Ash Wednesday.  ;)

Thanks for the great suggestions.  I think Sketchup in 2D is the one I'll focus on.

Larry
Larry

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »
If you want to save a file, can you 'save as' a pdf or dwg?

Worst comes to worse, you can do a 'print screen' and save it that way in Photoshop or whatever photo software you use, just wont be editable.

L of PA...I have had every imaginable scan there is known to mankind. (battling cancer)
PETs, MRIs,  CATs, MUGAs .... ;) And I am due to have ALL my 6 month scans again with and without contrast.
Gonna feel like a pincushion and be radioactive for weeks. ::)

So I use a lower case 's' for the plural. My oncologist does the same.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51:14 PM »
I was talking about using capitals Red.  ::)
When you are using initials or acronyms, you use CAPITAL letters to represent the words.  :doh:
Are you starting with me again?   {nono}

I am in no way trying to "Start with you", and by again, I guess you thought I started with you before. I made a broad statement that maybe we should call this site american tea forum or maybe american old car forum. I was simply stating a desire and a non understanding of why I was not receiving responses on dead fish on a pond forum but other posts were being frequented. I knew that it was a hard way to go and that is why I deleted it. It wasn't  that far out of line. You simply read it before I deleted it and took some kind of "I am better than thou approach" and took offense. You kept saying I was trying to act like a victim. No I had a question and was not receiving answers as fast as the other post. I did not understand why this was happening. I set mine to "show unread posts". I understand that all do not do this. BTW Joyce I cleaned my pond,in February, added pimafix to dose rate, added pond salt to just under dose rate and my fish are doing great. Thanks for asking. You stated you had the answers but would not respond because you were going to enjoy tea.  {-)

I received many, many responses offline and on personal message.  {:-P;;  They told me that you are known for starting trouble and I should ignore you. I have tried but now you are correcting my punctuation now and then asking if I am starting with you again? As you said many times in your responses to our last squabble. Get over yourself.   O0 I guess you know what I am talking about.

I would bet you did not receive a single message asking you to forget about me because I am an ass as I received about you.  >:(-

Look in the mirror. Your pictures you post are great try to come close to them with your inner self. Just simply attempt it I am not asking for miracles.  o(:-) >:(-

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 05:23:10 PM »
WOW...where's all the anger and paranoia coming from? !  :o
Someone better start practicing what they preach.  (8:-)

Sorry you had a bad day Red.  :)

Now, back on topic....    8)

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
zero paranoia  @O@

:)

Great day here..  8)

I hope you at least read the part about you and realize you do what you don't want to realize.  {:-P;;

I sent a PM about the topic. I really didn't want you correcting my grammar or spelling so I went to the source.  :hug:

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »
Red,

If anyone has to learn something, or admit to anything, or realize something, it's you.
How about the fact that you were very nasty to ALL of us and then edited (DELETED) it and pretended you didn't do it?
You've were very nasty and rude. You deleted it. Now you're trying to make me the bad guy? Lame smokescreen. lol
A lot of people didn't read it before you deleted it and don't understand why I laid into you.
It's time they understand just what happened. You were nasty, you deleted it, and then played woe is me: Waaa-waaa-waaaahhhh....Joyce is being mean to me!
Now you're accusing me of going and 'drinking tea,' while you desperately needed help, when that's what you told me to do in your nasty (now deleted) tirade.
So now I can't defend myself because you deleted your nasty end of it. You deleted it before most of us could read it. But many of us did.
You made fun of all of us talking about trivial stuff, about drinking tea, you went on and on making nasty comments about all the topics were were posting at in CHIT CHAT.
Basically that all of us were idiots talking about 'Chit Chat' topics in the Chit Chat forum while your fish were dying, and that we were deliberately not replying to your topic.
That's paranoia. That's mean. That's nasty. I pointed that out to you. Then you deleted it and then DEMANDED that I give you advice.
You're accusing me of not giving advice when you nastily DEMANDED it, when that is never what I did.
I told you I can't give any more advice because I agreed with the advice that was already given.
(readers, I do believe if you do a search you can find some of this dialogue, unless Red deleted even more)  ::)
Now the readers can put the puzzle pieces together and read between the lines.
Then you went on again about how mean I was about not giving advice, tried to play that victim angle over and over.
So I repeated myself AGAIN that I couldn't add any more to what already was said. That I agreed with the advice already given.
But you went on and on again that I was witholding advice. (playing it up, playing the victim)
So I repeated myself AGAIN that I couldn't add any more to what already was said.
Now're you're doing it again. I NEVER WITHELD ADVICE TO YOU. Do you finally get it?!
So go ahead and twist it into what it's not. That's what you do, you delete, and then you twist, and then you accuse. And you deny.
And then you call me a trouble maker....  lol
I don't delete my posts, because I don't have to.

You can dish it out, but you can't take it.

And I don't give a crap about how many pms you got about me or what was said.
If you've got a pm friend, good for you.
I got plenty PMs too, from people shocked at your nastiness and then deleting it and pretending nothing happened.
People who you made feel bad. People who were hurt by your nastiness. People who were wondering WTF you were coming from.
Deleting it won't make it go away, won't make all of us forget what we read.
There's plenty of people here who know me enough to realize I dont pick a fight with just anyone.
But when a member is nasty to the ENTIRE FORUM and then deletes it and plays the victim...and then accuses ME of being the bad guy.... &-)

And now you're being rude and nasty again, playing the victim, acting like you didn't ask for it.
Go ahead and delete it again. I don't need to delete a thing.

You reap what you sow.

I will post no more on the subject because obviously you are what you are, and that's not worth any more of my time.
And not worth wasting any more of the entire forums time.

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 11:12:44 PM »
Time out folks {-)
Please, Jerry and I do not need to hold hands I am sure.
I have read between the lines and can see that Joyce is likely correct. I have forum backups and if there are discrepancies, I can load the backups on a test forum I run and read anything that has been deleted for the last several weeks.
Please do not make me go there as it is extra work for me, however, if there is anyone who is going to challenge another member and make me waste my unpaid time to find out the truth, they will be banned!

Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 11:39:08 PM »
I concur, we don't need it.  God knows we have had sleepness nights in the past over squabbles.
Taking sides only exacerbates the problem.
So just stop it. {-)

Sean, thanks
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:42:16 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"