Author Topic: honouring Canada's war dead  (Read 1043 times)

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
honouring Canada's war dead
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »
Some of you may find this way of honouring Canadian soldiers who have died while making this world safer for others interesting.  No matter what ones personal viewpoint of war may be these people have gone in and done their very best to make a difference under horrendous conditions.  In Canada every single one of these soldiers is recognized for the sacrifice they have made.

http://www.slideshare.net/chryston1951/a-different-view

This honouring of Canadian soldiers began spontaneously.  Every soldier who dies in Afghanistan is recognized this way, regardless of the weather.  People just come to the highway overpasses to pay tribute to these heroes. Each fallen soldier returns to the same air base in Trenton, Ontario and makes the same journey along Hwy 401 to the coroner in Toronto by motorcade.  The section of highway has been renamed "Highway of Heroes". 

emm

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Re: honouring Canada's war dead
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:40:34 PM »
Moves me each time I see this.

Bart

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »
I'm a proud American, but I do respect people who honor their military like that, and that slide show does move me to tears. 

As you said, no matter what your views are about war, honor the person...not the opinion.

thanks for sharing....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:28:44 AM »
I applaud Canadians :2thumbs:
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
Very lovely and very moving.  All those in the military and their families sacrifice so much.    :clap:
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"