Author Topic: cleaning inside my pond  (Read 680 times)

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
cleaning inside my pond
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »
This past fall and way into winter I was severely sick and alot of my outside chores did not get done before the cold set in.  I had pulled my pump and filters but, I did not get the net on.  Tons of dead leaves fell in.  I had a deicing ring in and that circle stayed open, but I began to notice dead fish under the ice surface and I was so sad.  All my fish, frogs and several rodents had died.  As it warmed up, it smelled out of this world awful.  We cleaned for hours and got out all the water but I have a lot of white stones in the bottom and they all need cleaned as well as the sides of the liner.  What can I use to do this with?  I was going to shovel the stones out into my wheelbarrow and put them to soak in there but I don't want a residue to linger anywhere that can harm any wild life or fish.  I have racoons, deer, birds, cats and other "critters" that come to drink.  Could you please help me out?  I am so upset.  My fish were several years old and so big and healthy.  My frog had been here for 3 years.  I am assuming it was the rotting leaves in there was what killed them.  Am I correct on that?  Thanks everyone
Jax

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: cleaning inside my pond
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:53:49 AM »
I've had rotting leaves/cones/needles and rocks in my pond for twelve years. Hasn't killed anything. Though I don't have a cover of ice all winter long.

I'm sorry for your loss.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning inside my pond
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Sorry, Jax, it's so sad to loose fish, especially ones you've had and loved for so long.

This appears to have been a bad year for overwintering fish - a good number of people on AP have lost fish.  Esther in particular had a post a couple of weeks back about loosing ALL her fish, also.  In that thread, we discussed many possibilities.  Would be worth searching it out.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"