Author Topic: Joyce--need an article to help folks plant lilies in mud pond  (Read 925 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hey Joyce--I'm getting people asking me how to get waterlilies established in a mud pond.  Can your write an article with info?  I've never done it but I'm guessing the plants need protection from critters, etc.  Plus the lilies are usually grown at a depth much deeper than what I'm experienced with. 

Any suggestions/info from anyone that has planted in a "natural" pond/lake please let us know what works for you  :)

I tried planting lilies in my father's little pond in Oklahoma (before I had any experience), & the dang turtles kept snapping off the lily pads.  The lilies didn't survive.  The fairgrounds have wire cages around their lilies to protect the plants.

Thanks
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Joyce--need an article to help folks plant lilies in mud pond
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:30:29 PM »
I gave a bunch of lilies (unammed) to my brothers neighbor for their mud pond they have problems with the muskrats getting them....well they got the ones I gave them also.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 04:49:20 AM »
All I can say is if you have a mud bottom pond, there is absolutely no way to keep wildlife out without totally enclosing it in a conservatory,
with a poured cement surface all around it and up past the edges of the greenhouse foundation.

People, everyone here, should just accept the wildlife a pond attracts, including the predators and deal with it.
If you're not able to deal with it, don't have a pond. It's that simple.

So what works for me, is planting the pond, stepping back and watching mother nature do her thing.
Large lilies go in deeper water up to 4-5 feet deep, smaller lilies go in the shallows.
Don't know how a plant grows, what it likes? Google it and find out.
If a muskrat comes, pray to the 'birds of prey' goddesses and gods.  ;)
I do occasionally 'ping' blue herons and egrets with an air pistol, but not to kill or harm, just at the loose tail feathers for a sting,
and never let 'em know where the ping is coming from. In other words...don't let them associates seeing you with getting a ping.
They've gotta learn to associate being at the pond with getting a ping. Then they'll stop coming.  8)

Here's an article I was asked to write for WGI...
http://www.watergardenersinternational.org/journal/1-4/joyce/page1.html
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:29:51 AM »
Thanks Joyce  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:11:42 AM »
Kat, I hope I didn't sound 'short'.  :)
Just was being realistic. Seems like a lot of people can't get a grip on the reality of wildlife and ponds.  ::)
Sometimes I feel like jumping in on a post and screaming, "WTF did you expect when you built it??!!!!!!!!!!!" ....but I bite my lip...HARD.  ;)
In the case of a mud bottom pond, or really any pond, you can't have it all.   :no:
Unless you build it inside your house.  And then don't expect your pets to leave it alone. :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"