Author Topic: 2010 Census Takers???  (Read 1560 times)

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
2010 Census Takers???
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:25:19 PM »
Hi all,

I am starting my 5 day training for the 2010 Census Taker job on Friday the 27th.  I was just wondering if any of you have ever done it before, or know anyone that has.  I guess I will be what they call an enumerator, where you drive around and update/verify addresses and knock on doors (will find out more Friday).  The pay is pretty good, $12.50 hr, 55 cents per mile, get paid weekly on Wednesday's, and is only supposed to last for 12 weeks.  I've never done anything like this before, have not worked at all in the last two years, before that was a secretary at an insurance office for 14 years in SD.  I'm kind of worried about all the properties around here in Southern Alabama (only lived here about 2 1/2 years) that have private property or no tresspassing signs (don't want to get shot going onto someones property.  I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.  It will be pretty good money, which I can really use right now.  But at the same time, I don't want to endanger my life or have to drive to all areas of the country that I'm not familiar with.  Am I being paranoid or just nervous about the job?  Anyone?

Thanks,

Tonya

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Census Takers???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:46:25 AM »
Sounds like it could be challanging at times but fun.  Probably more nervous then paronoid, comes with anything new and better to think a little more realistic about possible problems to be aware of and be on your toes then totaly blindsided in lala land.  I think I would do it, yes the money sounds nice quite a bit more then I make.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:11:37 AM »
I would think your nervousness and aprehension is natural. I suspect God has built that kind of feeling into us when our bodies know we are entering something that at least is different and unknown and at the most is potentially dangerous. My guess is that your fears are shared by most of the others doing that job and will be addressed in your training sessions. If it doesn't happen, then you'd better bring it up because you know that if you have unanswered questions, then someone else will have them too. I would guess they will tell you how to handle various situations and what to look out for, like meandering dogs or the do not enter signs.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:30:48 AM »
I'm confident your nervousness will dissipate once you go through your training and have your questions answered.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
Tonya,

Congratulations on your new job. O0

Please do be careful of dogs.  I remember (I think it was the 1990 census) a census taker was killed by dogs here in Indiana.

Recently a young girl came to our house doing tax assessments.  I asked her if she ever got scared because we have so much drug activity in the country around here.  She was from out of state but worked with her husband, brother and sister-in-law.  She said that they enjoyed it.  She only took pictures of the outside of our house and wasn't here but just a minute.

By the way, I have relatives that live in Gulf Shores.  We used to go down there when our kids were young for Spring Break but that was a long time ago!

Karen

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
Bring along some vinegar in a squirt bottle, for the dogs.  It works when they come chasing me while I'm biking.

I have a friend who did the Census last time.  Don't remember her making any comments either way, though.  One thing that I think would happen, at least around here, so close to downtown and all the drug dealers and sheisters, is that I think people would refuse to open their doors or answer questions.  I know I woudn't trust anyone knocking at my door; never open for people I don't know, and I sure wouldn't be giving out personal information. 

You think the government would come up with a better way to gather information.  Like a mailed survey.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:14:50 PM »
We received a short letter about an upcoming census. But it was coming in the mail.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:40:21 PM »
Thanks to all that replyed,

I guess I'm just going to have to wait until I go through my 5 days training to see what all they say and what all they expect.  I never really thought too much about the animals before, but now, that's a new thing to think about.  I love dogs, I have two, but I do get scared around dogs I don't know, and I think they know you are scared.  I will let you all know after I am done with my training to see what I find out, I really need the money, but like I said b4, not going to risk injury to myself for money (if I wanted to do that, I would be a law officer - by the way, my dad was a police officer and a security guard for many years when I was young). 

The comments about the government figureing out a better was is right, and I did read something about mailing out surveys for people to send in (so maybe, with any luck, the more people that mail them back will make my job simpler), maybe I will just have to identify addresses where people might live.

Sorry for the long wind, I will let you all know, and thanks for the posts, I really appreciate it!

Tonya

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Census Takers??? updated
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
Well, I was all set Thursday to start my training on Friday, and then the crew leader called and said she just found out that they were moving me to the reserve training and she didn't know when it would be starting. 

She said that since I need to take three days off (wed - fri) the first week in May (for my daughter's wedding in Minnesota - I'm giving her away) that is why they decided I couldn't start right now. 

I am pretty uspset as I was looking forward to making some money b4 the wedding.  She said I still have the job and that I would here from someone in the home office in Mobile, AL in the near future.  I just don't know what to think.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:13 AM »
Well, pew! Sorry to hear that.

We got our survey in the mail. I sat right down to fill it out.  :o It is the stupidest thing. They want to know typical stuff like names, birthdates, address and who lived there, if owned, rented, stuff about fuel useage to heat the place, but the stuff that was so dumb and gets my goat to the point I'm not going to research my answer much. They want to know the last 12 month's income and if rental income, the last 12 month's of that. I just finished my taxes and know exactly my 2008 figures but it will be a royal pain to try to figure out the last 12 months. So I'm going to give them the 2008 ####s and hope they don't put me in jail.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
Esther,

Thanks, and it does sound pretty dumb.  What in the world do they need to know your rental income for?  I thought the purpose was to see how many people live at a certain address and the such.  That last part of your post made me laugh! and I dare them!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:45 AM »
You ought to read the agricultural census...outright infuriating.  What kind of trees grow on your property, do they flower/produce fruit.  If fruit do you make income from the fruit.   It goes on and on about trivial stuff, wish I had one I'd type a few questions, but to the horror of my poor DH, I toss them into the trash.  He freaks out and wonders what will happen when they come to ask why we haven't filled ours out.   Riiiiiight.    &-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"