Author Topic: Qu re collecting manure from pastures  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Qu re collecting manure from pastures
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »
Twice a year I go to an outdoor antiques fair, and the parking lot is a farmer's field full of cow pies.  They are in varying stages of "freshness" and decomposition.

I was thinking that next time, I might bring a galvanized tub and collect some of those pies. 

Would those work for fertilizing the garden?  Would they have to compost for a while?  Can you top dress, or would the manure have to be dug into the soil?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Qu re collecting manure from pastures
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:26:08 AM »
I have cow pies galore in the pasture and even though they look "dry", that can be deceiving....they look crusty on the outside but warm and oozy in the middle--just like a pie!   lol 

Anyway, I have never added uncomposted cow manure to my garden, it needs to "break down" for a while.  It could burn plants and more importantly who wants fresh poop of any kind in your garden.  I am always "pinging" my cats out of the garden with my bb gun when they dig out my new rows of seeds to go to the bathroom.  I don't like the idea of digging in that crap. 

Get your bucket of pies and throw them in a corner somewhere or a compost bin and let them break down, mix them with leaves and grass, THEN put them in whatever you want to fertilize.   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
Hey Julles - come down and we'll set you up with cow pies and horse apples.  lol

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »
I agree. Crispy outside, runny, sticky and warm inside like fresh baked pie.  :P
I collected Bison Patties and they were almost a bushel each. Holy sh!t!  ;)
Couldn't get 'em home cuz the stench was so bad. Stop and dumped them.  :o
This is back when I had the PT Cruiser.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »
I can't help with the amount of time for the breakdown but I remember helping a friend as a teenager clean the feeder barn. I was nervous about it but it was rock hard. First shovel and 1 inch down to the bottom was mush. 75 dry heaves later my friend asked if I wanted to take the tractor and rake the hay. I said sure if you insist. Might have had 2 or three dry heaves in that last sentence.

Not enough windows in a PT cruiser to get that load home Joyce. Maybe a convertible but then you might not make it..   lol

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »
Ugh, not too many fond memories of horse balls and cow manure! Just remembering the vist to Uncle Arts farm in Canada.I fell face first into those horrid piles of cow crap! Of course in my best dress and shoes!! Geesh, a person could break a leg trying to walk thru those cow and horse pastures >:(-

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »
Joyce, maybe you should of tried one of those pine tree deodorizers. lol lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »
Aww... the warm earthy smell is not so bad.
And a good hard rain, it all disappears into the next grass growth.  o(:-)

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »
I heard somewhere that composted manure doesn't stink.  That seems not to be totally true, but it sure stinks less than fresh poop.

Be well, be safe,
McD
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"