Author Topic: repotting  (Read 1857 times)

Offline newbieincaliprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
repotting
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:21:58 AM »
So I got my pots, got my osmecoat, and my mosquito granules. Then I went looking for the composted cows manure. Home depot had nothing besides this one bag it is compost but it says it is composted peat moss and cows manure and enhanced but supposedly organic. Is that ok?

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: repotting
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:13:57 AM »
Sounds fine. BUT....Use your common sense. When you open it, if it smells bad... :o ...don't use it and take it back and get a refund.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:27:41 AM »
Great! Thanks Joyce! I potted all my plants if you remember in gravel  {nono} so now that they are out of shock I'm tearing them all up again  lol but hpefully it will not throw them all out of wack again and maybe I'll even get a lilly bloom!!!! I am shopping for a digital cam so hopefully I will have pictures soon!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »
I tried rocks once, and aqua-gravel and cat litter, and I went back to dirt......things are much better.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »
I used topsoil the last couple of years.  It gets messy with koi.  I'm using clay soil now.  Still messy, but it's free.  O0
Alfonso

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »
haha i'm sure you'll find me at my local hardware store making tiny holes in compost bags and taking a big wiff.  o(:-)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
I make holes in bags all the time.  (If there is not one already torn open, that is.)  All that white plastic makes it impossible to see the texture or content of what's inside the bag... I've gotten home with a bag of "garden soil" and found it consisted mostly of sand.  Now I make sure to check it first.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:40:37 AM »
Very often there are bags already torn open.* I check those to see what it looks and smells like.  8)
*I guess Julles shops around here too.  ;)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:40:27 AM »
Do like I do, make your own!  I have a huge pile of uncomposted horse manure here, all you have to do is come pick it up!  FREE!!!  Compost it for yourself and you will have something better than you will ever get in a store!  Right, Joyce?

BTW, if you do get some of the store bought stuff home and it stinks, just throw it on your compost pile and let it finish "cooking" (WHAT, YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPOST PILE!!!?).  It will be perfect in just a few months.  Manure is the "green" part for you compost gurus, even though it is brown.  So mix it with more brown (carbon rich) stuff like dried leaves and it will compost more thoroughly and faster.  Good for whatever ails your lilies and lotuses (and the rest of your garden!).

Steve

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:44:05 AM »
I'm actually finding that my pond has improved EVERY thing. Ally my flowers are blooming big healthy blooms and my plants seems super happy! Fish poop... who knew I was tossing liquid gold out when I was cleaning that stinky tank all those years ago! I am planning on starting my first compost bin this summer but I want to wrangle my guy into making me one I can turn easy!

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
I used topsoil the last couple of years.  It gets messy with koi.  I'm using clay soil now.  Still messy, but it's free.  O0

I use topsoil as well.  I have been topping my pots off with about a half inch or more of granite chips.  They can be bought (in three sizes) from poultry supply stores.  It is used as ‘chicken scratch.’  I do not know if the course chips bother the mouths of the koi, but they have left mine alone now for several years. 

Offline tenuki

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 03:46:16 AM »
Do you add anything to your "topsoil"?  I bought the composted cow manure and am going to try it.  I find it hard to get over the thought of putting manure in the pond.  What I bought looks like dirt and does not smell.  However, it has been too cold here in Minnesota to do much of anything in the pond except vacuum the green stuff.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 04:09:48 AM »
I'm actually finding that my pond has improved EVERY thing. Ally my flowers are blooming big healthy blooms and my plants seems super happy! Fish poop... who knew I was tossing liquid gold out when I was cleaning that stinky tank all those years ago! I am planning on starting my first compost bin this summer but I want to wrangle my guy into making me one I can turn easy!

Now thats an idea, when I finally get it going I'll route one pipe from my bottom drain to the compost pile.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"