Author Topic: raspberry or blackberry?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline newbieincaliprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
raspberry or blackberry?
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
I planted this plant last summer and it WENT WILD! it was about... 2 maybe 2 and a half feet tall now... maybe 9 feet high. I don't know if it is a raspberry or blackberry bush. And will it yield fruit this summer? It is MUCH more green now that it has put out more leaves. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: raspberry or blackberry?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »
I know my neighbor has a blackberry vine bush that is now creeping into my yard.  Unfortunately I don't have enough sun in that area for it to grow out to fruits.

No matter fruits from both are fabulous.  You'll have call it the surprise fruit plant.   :D

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:10:13 PM »
I think that is what Ed sent me who also lives out in California. He said that it was a blackberry.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:34:39 AM »
GREAT! I was hoping for black berrys. Can't really do much with raspberry's except for jams and I am NOT doing all that!!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:46:34 AM »
You can eat them on ice cream, by themselves, put them in fruit salad, smash them and put them on pancakes or waffles, bake them into a pie or cobbler. At least that is what I do with raspberries. I also make freezer jam with them which is extremely fast and easy.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 11:06:12 AM »
I can't tell what it is, except it looks like a vine.
It certainly does not look like any raspberry or blackberry to me, which grow as shrubs.

Does it have thorns? Blackberry's have thorns. (they are in the Rosacea: rose family)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
Yes it has many tiny needle like thorns that get larger and meaner as they age! I found it's first bud's yesterday  @O@

Oh and leeanne -  I meant I don't like raspberry lol too tart for my taste.

...  ::) I am just going to have to break my guy down and make him go get me a digital camera for you guys!!!  @O@

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 06:37:41 PM »
Joyce, I doubted it at first but the vines have the same leaves and thorns as the briers back in Alabama and the ones that I have found down here. The blackberry briers that I found down here are almost ground cover. They don't get any taller than around 16" but with the right fertilizing (mucky pond water), they produce nice, sweet, blackberries. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 06:44:53 PM »
I have black raspberry bushes that have been in my husbands family 50 years.. They are sure good.

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »
I can't tell what it is, except it looks like a vine.
It certainly does not look like any raspberry or blackberry to me, which grow as shrubs.

Does it have thorns? Blackberry's have thorns. (they are in the Rosacea: rose family)

Not all blackberry's have thorns.  Oregon Thornless doesn't and that is what we planted on purpose  O0

That looks more to me like salmon berry?  I'm not sure that is right either.  Curious to see if it gets a bright pink flower.  It is not typical blackberry if it is at all, and not raspberry  As Joyce said both of those are bushier, though blackberry is a bit more vine like.
Mary

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »
This might surprise you but there is a very good chance that they are blackberries. I was out by the pond yesterday and on the back side of the koi trough was a blackberry vine. How sure am I? It had some ripe and unripe blackberries on it. The leaves were similar to the ones that Ed sent me. I haven't eaten one yet until I'm absolutely sure.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"