Author Topic: floor pads for filter  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Kaysbelle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
floor pads for filter
« on: October 16, 2008, 09:27:03 AM »
Which floor pads would be the best for a 55 gallon filter.  How many would I need - I want to put scrubbing in the top half of the filter.  Thanks.

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: floor pads for filter
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »
I bought mine from a local janitorial supply business - good price. 

I only bought the red ones - medium coarse.  I cut them up (use gloves if you value the skin on your hands) into approximately 4" pieces.  I put them in one of those large mesh bags for laundry.

Not sure how many you would need - I think at least 3 though.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:18:24 AM »
I got mine on line  very cheap.  I use it in the Skippy.  I must have 18 to 20 !  They work!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »
I love using those BLACK stripping pads -- 23inch will fit perfect in 55gal drums. LOW SPEED.   Been using those kinds of pads for years now in the DIY barrel filters I install on ponds.   I have used a couple other colors like red to experiment with.   White is way to dense -- and will gum up in a heartbeat.  wonderful action of catching pond crap-- but downside is you better be on them every couple days , for if not.. they will channel or worst case, gum up against one another float up and then over flow a bio falls.

Red is still kinda on the dense side for me.  I noticed they do catch a good amount of particulate, but require far more attention and sometimes will "channel" flow around the pads as they gum up faster.

the black are the least dense.  they allow for particulate capture, while going the distance before channeling water when they gum up.

here is where I get them :
best price-- and free shipping I've found :D

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/MCO08385.html

hope that helps :D

carlos
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:10:25 AM by spanishleprachaun »
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:03:06 AM »
I used a coarse black filter medium, that I got at www.watergarden.com, in my biofilter, a 50 gal Rubbermaid stock tank.  The filter medium is 1 1/4" thick and 56" wide.  It sells for $13.99/linear foot.  I cut it into 2" squares with a razor knife and put into black polyester mesh bags.  It works wonderfully.  My ponds are crystal clear in the growing season.   

Here is copy of the info on it from their website: (there is a photo of it on their website)

"Click to Enlarge
Fiber Filter Media (Black)
Qty.     Add to Cart
Only $13.99 ea.
Item Number: FMM045

Tell a Friend About This Item
Fiber Filter Media (Black)
1-1/4 inch Thick x 56 inch Wide cut to order (Black) Stiffer than the white media and longer lasting. (note: 56" width can vary, we have seen this as narrow as 54" and as wide as 60", but should be close 56")

The price shown is per linear foot. Enter the number of feet that you wish to purchase in the quantity box then click the "Add to Cart" button. The maximum for 1 piece is 20'. Orders over 20' must be for a 20' piece plus additional to qualify for discounted price."

Ruth
Ruth

Offline prestongohlke

• Members
  • With us since: 27/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:26:57 AM »
For my home made filter i used cut to size washable air filters i got at H.D. for $5 on sale. Not this brand but the same type http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100351380

P

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »
i use hd air cindition filters also....they work great.have always used them...lorraine
lorraine

Offline Lawrence of PA

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »
Is it best to cut into little pieces or cut to fit the barrel and use a stack of discs?

Larry
Central PA
Larry

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »
NOOOO, don't cut them up... For one thing, there will always be little particles of the fiber let loose from cutting (been there, done that). And if you are intending to ever clean them, it will be a real pain to hose off all those little pieces. I used kitchen scrubbies in mesh bags for a while and they did work butttttt again, they were a pain to clean. Sold them and went to the round (I use green)(don't know the difference) floor scrubber pads to use in my biofilter (Skippy of UM 3-4 years maybe). They are soooo much easier to clean and hold up very well. Look at your choices and choose the ones that fit best. You of course can cut them to fit whatever tub/tank you are using. I made a rack from PVC to hold the pads up off the bottom to get good upflow.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 12:06:36 PM »
I have used floor scrubber pads.  I am going to bite the bullet and buy matala for the barrel filter this year.  The scrubbers work..but are a PITA imho to clean easily. 

Just set up a bio step 10 filter that has matala pads and a matala pump prefilter...I'm convinced...
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"