Author Topic: Having Trouble  (Read 1003 times)

Offline cawaterlilies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Having Trouble
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »
OK
I can get the vivip plants to get leafs and roots... and i can get tuber starts to floating leafs and root.. but for the life of me i can't seem to get them to grow the from there... i think i may try the tuber sideways method and let the plants root and remove the tuber but that still wont apply to the vivip starts... after a few days most of the time the plant just gets soggy and deteriorates... first time i just tried sand with some pond tablet dust in it... that didnt exactly work.. and now i tried and mix of clay and sand and pond tablet... all the floating quarter sized leafs deteriorated off but there were some new pads still coming up and they are staying on. i was just wondering if anyone else has trouble keeping them alive after they are removed from tuber/parent pad... and what else can be done maybe that will keep them going.

Offline Garbird

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    • View Profile
Re: Having Trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
I leave the small plants on the tuber until they root to the soil, and are getting established. Then take the tuber away and try it again in another pot.  Try the same with vivips by pinning the leaf to the surface of the soil in very shallow water. Also I never try to start the tubers in less than 75 degree F. they don't like cool water.
Garbird

Offline Garbird

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:23:27 PM »
I forgot to mention, don't cut the petiole off the mother plant on vivips. Let the leaf and new plant feed off of her until they get their own feeder roots established. By that time the leaf is usually pretty much shot.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »
Sometimes I turn a vip leaf upside down, it helps start the plant better on some of the lilies. I just watch and decide how it is  going. If not too well I flip the leaf while it is still hooked to the plant. It works better sometimes.

Offline cawaterlilies

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »
i cant get them to grow from the vivp fuzzy node and from the corm of a tropical... its just that for some reason when i go to plant them in their own cups they die and i dont know why? either the leaves like die off and new ones arent produced and it just sits there in an empty cup of sand and clay... is there too much light? not enough fertilizer? i dont understand lol

Offline Garbird

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
What temperature is the water? Is there a cool down at night? Sounds like what happens to mine when I try to put them outside too early.

Offline cawaterlilies

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »
it does cool down at night- but i've had the same experience with them ceasing to grow in indoor heated ponds... perhaps i'll try my luck again- i do recall have one huge alge bloom that was next to impossible to keep off the little delicate leaves.

Offline Garbird

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »
I just wanted to tell you that this site has some great articles in the tutorials section on this subject. I read them a couple days ago. I thought you would enjoy them too. They are written by a member named Sean. Very informative.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »
FYI
Sean is one of the administrators of this forum and is the moderator. He is very knowledgeable and you'd never guess he grows all those tropical waterlilies on an apartment balcony in Canada!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"