Author Topic: How to tell dead from live lotus???  (Read 708 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
How to tell dead from live lotus???
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »
I pulled up last years lotus. The tubers are all white and firm and the roots are white but every upwards growing point which was a leaf last year is mushy and rotten. No leaves at all. I see tiny tiny sprouts coming from the base of the rotten stems where last year's leaves were. Not sure if they are going to be leaves or more tuber, they are white.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell dead from live lotus???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »
I changed the monster lotus's pond over this year to a lily pond and I not only took out all the tubers but most of the dirt and what was left I chopped, stirred  up did everything to make sure I had no  viable tubers left in there and I see this week two lotus leafs sticking arial already.  It was pulverised in there and it still managed to come back so hopefully yours has something there that can bounce back. I believe they are much more destructable then we think.  I have a few growing out of the compost pile that were tubers or runners with no tips that I could see.

tink

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"