Author Topic: finally did our clean out  (Read 793 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
finally did our clean out
« on: May 04, 2009, 08:28:42 PM »
Well we have been gone for the last couple weeks to DC to babysit a couple of the grandkids...to our dismay when we got home the ponds had drasticaly turned murky with floating algae, they were just a mess.  Well after a long first week back to work it was a beautiful weekend so we cleaned the 2 large ponds.  This year DH brought home some large totes from work they hold 1000 liters, but have a 250gal mark also that we used, we filled them up and then used them to meter in the water to the pond.  I was so happy to find out that we actually have more gallons then I thought....2400gal in the main pond.  We did not meter the lily/goldfish pond but it probably has the same or more, it is a little smaller in size but deeper in areas and has no stones just bare liner.  We also removed the stones from the bottom of the pond for easier cleaning, it will take me some time to get use to it with out the stone floor.  Another great find was 2 baby brown koi, we had thought they were 4 goldfish babies, but 2 turned out to be koi.  Now we hope they will change color this season, in the past babies have had color almost right away.  This weekend we have plans on rebuilding out small upper pond that acts as a veggie filter, hoping the weather is nice again.  Then the ponds will be done and I can concentrate on dividing lilies and getting some new gardens in place.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: finally did our clean out
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »
WOW, that is a wonderful idea to get those huge containers of water! When the ice from the pond finally melted, along with the 4 ft. of snow on top, under that was all GREEN MUCK! I just hate that stuff  >:(- I have tried several times to take it out, but now all the frogs and toads are everywhere in it and justa singing away!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"