Author Topic: Can someone give info on wakin fish  (Read 1898 times)

Offline knight7453

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can someone give info on wakin fish
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:08:12 AM »
 I’m not familiar with wakin goldfish. Would they survive in a pond in a Northeast, USA winter?
Thank you
K/\/

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone give info on wakin fish
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:35:23 AM »
They are fine under ice as long as you give them a healthy start into winter and leave a hole open in the ice for Co2 exchange. I have most of mine out all winter and have never lost any. I always feed wheatgerm food going into winter and in spring to build their immune system for the long fast and get their pond as clean as possible. Leafs and debris clean out (algae left in to feed on if needed).
We get up to 10 inches of ice on the ponds sometimes and freezing and thaws all during winter some winters. Both my koi and wakins have been ok with this treatment (I did have to bring in a new koi this winter that went into distress).

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »
they are the coolest fish and can't wait to get mine from Tracey!  I have at least one coming..maybe 2 :D  Just have to get together with Tracey and get it figured out
Mary

Offline knight7453

• Members
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 04:13:19 PM »
thanks for the info. I may look to get a few
K\/

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
You will not be disappointed!
Mary

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »
If this helps anymore it is from a short flyer I made to take to a show this summer.

The Best Fish for Your Pond or Watergarden

The Japanese wakin, pronounced  (WAH-KEEN) is ideally suited for fish ponds.  It is  very hardy & easy to maintain.  Any size pond can successfully accommodate wakin, unlike koi which do best in large deep ponds.  They are also plant friendly, unlike most koi and goldfish who tend to uproot waterlilys and other water plants gardeners work so hard to maintain & enjoy.
It's a rather odd looking fish when viewed from the side, but from above  these fish are gorgeous. With a long body and fancy double tail, they are perfect for ponds where fish are predominantly viewed from above. These fish are fast swimmers, unlike their fancy fantailed cousins, thus making them less vulnerable to predators and they are very capable of obtaining food when competing with other single tailed fish in the pond.
Wakin are great for northern climes.  Winter hardy, they remain active under the ice as long as the pond does not freeze totally solid.  No ornamental pond fish can survive in a pond that freezes solid, so it is very important to be sure to keep your pond thawed by some means, like a water de-icer, or remove your fish for from the pond for the winter.
Wakin typically come in vermilion red & white with the patterning much like a Kohaku Koi and the added beauty of the patterned double tail.  Most wakin display what is called “peducle flash”.  This “flash” is right where the tail attaches to the body. As they swim it catches & reflects light & adds another element to their beauty in a pond setting. They normally range from 8 inches to 12 inches but have been documented to grow as large as 18 inches.   
Friendly & intelligent,  wakin can be tame quickly making them wonderful inhabitants for ponders who love to spend time with their fish.  Rare colors are now available to add beauty to your pond setting.  Calico & midnight blue black.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"