Author Topic: Little Pond redo  (Read 1375 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Little Pond redo
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »
Ok this is not a major redo as some people do. This is our little upper pond that is used as a veggie filter. The foot print of this pond will stay about the same 3.5'x7'x18" used the same liner (hope the patch holds).  The major things we will be doing are leveling better as we got lots of wash from the back, moving the whole pond back 2 feet to give more walking room right now there is only a narrow maybe 18" space, getting rid of all the stone and gravel inside, using block for the front and low sides instead of the flagstone that just fell all over, loosing the marginal shelf that went around the whole thing to just the back.  By loosing the marginal shelf it gives more deep space for lilies and baby goldfish, we usually put a few in here every year, then back in the big pond for fall.  Well we got a good first day in, we got it moved, rebuilt and mostly filled. We used similar block, but narrower as we have in the retaining wall by the main pond.  The best part is having moved it back I think, now we have more then 3' of walking room between the pond and the retaining wall that drops down to the main pond(the kids running through there use to scare me).  The second would be the increase in the depth area and no stones much easier to clean.  Tomorrow we will go and get some cap stones for the front and sides and we are debating on the back, DH wants to reuse the lannon stone as the back is pretty much level with the ground,  up about 4", we will see.  Then splice the hose that runs to the main ponds waterfall because when we moved the pond and liner we had to cut the hose.  After that it will be add the trickle tower, plants and finnish filling.

This is a picture of how it was...notice the narrow walk area

Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline aravenschild

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Little Pond redo
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 05:20:30 AM »
looking good so far,.......  @O@

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »
How does the water get from this small veggie pond to the larger pond?  Or am I misunderstanding?

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:06:02 AM »
Great pictures and Great job! @O@ Cant wait to see pictures of complete job. Can you post pictures of your pond and gardens? We love pictures! :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
Looking good Marla. Glad I'm not there to help. LOL.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »
Looks good , Marla  O0

bonnie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:22:40 PM »
Just seeing those blocks makes my back hurts!  But it's looking good!  O0

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for your positive comments, still not done as I had hoped.  We had used the origional liner when redoing...well the liner had a hole at the top edge from some varmint chewing a hole in it, it was patched and fine.....when we did the redo the the hole ended up lower in the pond......and to our dismay leaked >:(.  Well yesterday we patched it good on both sides and let it sit in the sun, we have not refilled it yet....we did get all the top block on all the way around, and the trickle tower is set up and ready and both hoses that needed extra splices because they were now short are done and ready.   Should have water in it and running by the weekend, so then I will post the finished project.
How does the water get from this small veggie pond to the larger pond?  Or am I misunderstanding?
Julles, this little pond sits above our main pond.  In the skimmer we have a small like 250gph pump conected to a hose, it pumps up to one end of the pond first through a trickle tower, then a burried hose gravity hose on the oppisite top end feeds back down into the waterfall of the main pond.  The first year we were loosing small baby goldfish from the little pond through the gravity feed line (we called it being NEMOed) so we had to make a cover for it.

Great pictures and Great job! @O@ Cant wait to see pictures of complete job. Can you post pictures of your pond and gardens? We love pictures! :)
somewhere on here I know there are pictures of the three ponds, but I dug some up for you, they are a few years old, things have changed a bit

Just seeing those blocks makes my back hurts!  But it's looking good!  O0
Annette.... the blocks are not to big, only 6" high ....the one you did the other year gave me the inspiration to redo this one....we have similar block but bigger (12" high) in the retaining wall below, here is a picture of that block so it will blend in nice I think.

the Main Koi pond

the Lily/Goldfish pond
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:45:03 PM by marla »
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"