Author Topic: Plants in pots?  (Read 959 times)

Offline Dale D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Plants in pots?
« on: May 08, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »
I have my plants in a bog filter on the back of my pond and in 2 large container gardens on the patio.
Is it OK to leave the plants in the baskets they come in or should you take them out and plant them?
The ones in my bog would be OK to plant "in ground", but the container gardens don't have substrate so the pots are just sitting on other up ended pots to get them to the proper water level.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Plants in pots?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »
The problem that I find with baskets is that once the roots come out through the holes, they are a pain to repot.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
I plant all my pond plants in vegetable bins I get at the 99 cent store.  They do not have holes.  Most of plants stay pretty much contained in these pots for at least a year, some up to 3 years.  Since I use the kitty litter for "soil" the repotting isn't too bad, except maybe the cannas.  I fertilize most my plants once a year and my lilies once a month.  The lack of holes keeps the fertilizer at the roots and not in the pond.  I make stands out of PVC pipe to raise my plants to the proper level.  My pond is an old swimming pool partially filled in so it is 3' deep everywhere.  I keep my lilies at a foot so they are easy for me to prune.  My bog plants are barely under the water surface.  My filter/bog is a 300 gallon rubbermaid tub with lava rock.  I have 6 vegetable bins in the top of it with more bog plants and I have a small secondary pool (double waterfall) that also has 3 bog plants in vegetable bins.  They 99 cent store has a variety of sizes which cost from .99 to 2.99.  If you go there it must be a 99 cent store (sorry I don't have the "cent" symblo on my keyboard) not Dollar General or Family Dollar Because in Tucson, at least, they don't have the same product.  Also, make sure to get the ones that are opague, not semi-transparent.  The former last for years and the latter don't even make it one year sometimes. 

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
Casey are you having problems finding plain boring kitty litter?  I can't seem to find it here
Mary

Offline Dale D

• Members
  • With us since: 14/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:09:10 PM »
I plant all my pond plants in vegetable bins I get at the 99 cent store.  They do not have holes.  Most of plants stay pretty much contained in these pots for at least a year, some up to 3 years.  Since I use the kitty litter for "soil" the repotting isn't too bad, except maybe the cannas.  I fertilize most my plants once a year and my lilies once a month.  The lack of holes keeps the fertilizer at the roots and not in the pond.  I make stands out of PVC pipe to raise my plants to the proper level.  My pond is an old swimming pool partially filled in so it is 3' deep everywhere.  I keep my lilies at a foot so they are easy for me to prune.  My bog plants are barely under the water surface.  My filter/bog is a 300 gallon rubbermaid tub with lava rock.  I have 6 vegetable bins in the top of it with more bog plants and I have a small secondary pool (double waterfall) that also has 3 bog plants in vegetable bins.  They 99 cent store has a variety of sizes which cost from .99 to 2.99.  If you go there it must be a 99 cent store (sorry I don't have the "cent" symblo on my keyboard) not Dollar General or Family Dollar Because in Tucson, at least, they don't have the same product.  Also, make sure to get the ones that are opague, not semi-transparent.  The former last for years and the latter don't even make it one year sometimes. 

Sounds great.
Do you have any pictures? 
PVC stands.  8-)~ I never even thought of that.  :o
Over the last 15 to 20 years of aquarium keeping I have made just about everything you can out of PVC, but, I never even thought of it when I was trying to figure out how to raise the pots up.  :)

Thanks. I know what I am doing tomorrow.  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:19:02 PM by Dale D »

Offline casey

• Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:36:09 PM »
No pictures now but I will get my DH to take some and put them up.  It won't be until tomorrow afternoon sometime because he does volunteer work in the morning.  We do not glue the stands.  They seem to stay together fine without the glue and then we can change them if we need to for a different height or a different size pot.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"