Author Topic: Getting tropicals from heated winter water to pond without shocking them  (Read 793 times)

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I have successfully wintered over 11 tropicals that I would like to get in the pond as soon as possible.  They have been in a kiddie pool with aquarium heaters and aeration since last November when the pond water cooled.  The temp in the kiddie pool has been about 80 to 95.  They have been coddled.  The fluctuation in water temp has been due to night temps (cold in winter) to full sun (95 in days now).  The pond is at 76 now, 9:30am, and climbs some during the day as it is in full sun.   8)  The pond is 5,500 gallons so the daily temperature fluctuation is not too great. 

I would like to know thoughts of those with tropical lily experience as to the best way to get my tropicals back into the pond without killing them from shock,  :o  or even if that is an issue.

Many of you are old hands at overwintering tropicals.  I have learned a lot this winter about the overwintering and I have bigger and less labor intensive plans for next winter.  However, I am really proud of myself for keeping these 11 tropicals alive and happy.  O0  Some are now blooming in their little pool!   @O@  I also have over 100 babies for donating to my watergardener's annual plant sale on 5/17 in dixie cups growing in another kiddie pool.  One thing I have noticed and shouldn't surprise me as I am an old hand a terrestrial gardening, is that some of the lilies are earlier than others.  I was thinking that some of my babies were maybe not going to make it when I realized that the babies without little leaves showing were the same name as the big ones with only tiny leaves on the crown.  It only then occurred to me that lilies, like roses or other plants, have the same variation in early bloomers, late bloomers, etc.  :D

Anyway, I digress and would really like to know the least harmful way of getting my big tropicals back into my pond in the next couple days or week.

Thanks,
Casey

Offline cawaterlilies

• Members
  • With us since: 04/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
i would say a well established mature potted trop lily wont go into much shock as long as the water in the pond is around 75- including night temps- then you should b fine.

Offline casey

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Thanks cawaterlilies.  Anyone else have comments to offer?

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I assume you've turned off the heaters?  8)

Slow trickle through to the pools would cool the water down to more closely match that of the pond, but that isn't practical for everyone. 
Mary

Offline casey

• Members
    • View Profile
I have not turned off the heaters because the pools are small enough to cool completely overnight and our temps are going down to 63 at night and up to 95-100 during the day.  I thought maybe that large a fluctuation would not be good for the lilies.  I would guess the heated water is not going below about 80.  I thought maybe if I put them in the pond early in the morning when the pond temp & the kiddie pool temp are the closest it might help.  Does this sound reasonable?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"