Author Topic: Should the Azolla & duckweed stay or go???  (Read 950 times)

Offline LynnKLea

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Should the Azolla & duckweed stay or go???
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
I just received my packages of Azolla & Duckweed mix. The  very second that my husband saw them, he said " Surely you are not going to put that stuff into the pond, are you? It will all go into the skimmer, then pump etc."   So now has anyone any ideas of how to prevent this from happening!! Our pond is in full sun & I thought this was a GOOD idea! We have several waterlilies that are sending their pads to the surface of the water and one has 2 blooms on it. We also have parrotts feather on the surface. our pond is 14' x 21' with a waterfall & stream.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Should the Azolla & duckweed stay or go???
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
I have read some people put a fishing line across the pond where they want the floaters to stay.  Just low enough to hold the stuff in place.  OR..have a floating ring made of plastic tubing, drip system stuff, and float it in the pond tied to an anchored fishing line to keep it in place and the azolla grow in the ring. 

The fish love to eat the stuff too!

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »
Get yourself a couple patio ponds/troughs/tubs for mini lilies & grow the azolla/duckweed with them.  Feed small amounts to the fish to see if they like it.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »
I made myself a ring out of lg black tubing..........looks like a floating hula hoop now. I put the Azolla and duckweed in there and it looked lovely then................the goldfish decided to come up from the bottom and rearrange everything so now most of it is floating all over the pond. Now I have an idea and I'm going to buy some screen door screen (the nylon or plastic stuff not metal) and attach it to the sides with fish line so that it forms a kind of bowl under the hoop and the fish won't be able to get to the plants  @O@. I just know that this will work............. O0 I'll let ya know if it does for sure but why wouldn't it? They'd have to jump in the ring to get to it and they'd be stuck in there with it and I won't let them out till they behave  {nono}

Offline LynnKLea

• Members
  • With us since: 30/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:25:58 AM »
Thanks so much for the ideas. I will try them!  LynnKLea

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:13:43 AM »
I have floating baskets made of black plastic screening material sewn onto black styrofoam rings.  Contains the floating plants, and keeps the fish from eating them.  Also good for raising fry, etc.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"