Author Topic: Do fish eat hornwort?  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Amy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do fish eat hornwort?
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »
Just wondering about hornwort...this is the first year I have ever had it, only had anacarus. The hornwort I bought early May has grown and there in NOTHING in the water but stems! The only green plant is right at the water surface and above! Did I do something wrong or do fish gobble it up? I have koi and goldfish.....and we do feed them daily! LOL

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do fish eat hornwort?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »
Good munchies.  O0 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
They'll eat the young greens first then work through the rest.  Chomp-chomp!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
Putting plants in with koi is like putting steak in with a school of piranha. lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »
I was told to use hornwort in my pond because the koi won't mess with it.  At one time, at winter's end, I had it, I swear, 2' deep in my 30" deep pond - so much I could have sold it.

Then the koi must have figured out that it's edible.  I can't keep it any more.  What the fish don't eat, they tear apart, and the little pieces were clogging up my filter.

I still want underwater plants, because they filter and aerate the water, and hornowort is the cheapest around here.  Now I put the hornwort in floating mesh baskets made of plastic patio screen material, where the fish can't get to it.  It's growing and doing fine!

Offline Amy

• Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »
Thanks all! Obviously that was a waste of money! LOL!!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
I think sometimes that Koi will behave differently from pond to pond. A lot of folks have trouble with their Koi rooting in the lily and plant pots. They are always talking about putting stones on top of the soil. I never put stones on mine and my fish never bothered the soil in the pots. I do know that I had watercress from the grocery store growing in the rocks at the side of the pond and when it leaned over to the water, my fish went after it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"