Author Topic: New Pond pictures and plants needed  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Pond pictures and plants needed
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OA7byKL5De8/SiW0l2m0enI/AAAAAAAAPG4/sUrjJb5_yes/s1600-h/IMG_8889.JPG
I'm not sure how to post a picture, hope that works.

Here's my new pond. I'm so excited about it! It's been running with the filter for about a week.  We had 2 goldfish transplants for about a week without the filter, then we had them with the filter for a couple of days.  We put one of the koi transplants in tonight, so far so good! They are checking everything out and look to be happy.   O0 o( o(:-) @O@

I need so plant suggestions at both ends we have a bog. On the one end it's only about 2" and the other end it's about 6"  in the picture you can't see the 6" one.  Should I put gravel on both of these?  Can I take the dwarf papyrus out of that ugly white pot and just put it in the gravel? 

The bottom of the picture will soon be a wood deck that cantilevers over the pond slightly.  On the other side I need to plant some plants.  If anyone has suggestions or plants they would like to sell for the side or the bogs, I'll be happy to take them off your hands! I'm good on lilies and lotus for now, I need to see what's going to live of what I have. I think I have about 10 pots of who knows what, they all lost their tags. 

Thanks in advance! We are SO happy about our pond. We are already looking at what kind of koi to put in it now!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Pond pictures and plants needed
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:24:16 PM »
Congrats on the new pond! 

Sorry. I've already trimmed down on plants this year.  Not happy about cutting up massive plants.  The dwarf papyrus is a very fast grower and without a pot limiting its spread you will eventually have a monster on your hands.  Dwarf my foot!  :o  If anything find a pot you like to transplant it, that is if you don't want the papyrus all over.  ;)

Offline Holldoll

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
I figured I was late on the plants, but I'm VERY anxious to get it looking pretty! we've been looking at dirt and an ugly yard for 4 years, I'm DONE with looking at it. 

That's what I figured with the papyrus.  Maybe I'll find a black pot at least, then I won't have to notice it so much! What size it good for papyrus?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:49:48 PM »
I used to have my Papyrus - dwarf my foot - in a blue 12" deep and round ceramic pot just sitting about 2 " in the pond on a shelf.  It looked great above the pond.   O0  I had to divide and re-pot the whole plant every year.  Pot was heavy and the plant is like cutting through stone.  >:(

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:56:06 AM »
If it was me, I'd keep all of my marginals in pots as it will make it easier to divide unless you don't mind the extra work of dealing with rampant plant growth.  A 1 gallon nursery pot for dwarf papyrus will easily become stuffed by season end with new plants & even have some growing over & around the pot.  Once you get some plants in & around your pond you'll get more enjoyment out of it.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 06:09:08 AM »
It's going to be lovely. 

Yes, until you expand to a really big pond (EVERYone eventually expands  :D ), keep your plants in pots.

I like taro, especially the black kind.  Mint is also good, and will grow quickly.  Japanese flag is hardy and does well, and adds some white color.  It's verigated green & white.  So is water celery, which has a pretty, lacy leaf pattern.  Lizard tale is pretty, in a twisted way.

I'm so used to seeing bogs with gravel in them, instead of mud.  Many people use bogs as a way to filter their water, in which case, you fill the bog with gravel and let the plants grow in that.  They get their nutrients from the pond water (fish waste).

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:38:24 AM »
How many gallons is your pond and where do you live?

Those two questions will help answer what kind/how many fish and what kind of plants.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Holldoll

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »
I live in the San Francisco area, zone 9.  The pond is about 2700 gallons, not counting the bogs. 

I think I will keep everything in the pots, I don't want things to get out of control, easier is better.  Can I plant the pots in the ground around the pond, or would it be better to just build rocks around them?  I'll add the gravel to the bogs.  I'm thinking if I need to keep everything in pots, my bogs need to be deeper. The one is only about 3" and the other about 6". 

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'm keeping a list! I can't wait for the plants. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"