Author Topic: I must be in California  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I must be in California
« on: October 30, 2006, 10:18:31 PM »
This morning I was sitting in the patio in the front yard enjoying a nice cup of hot mocha cappuccino.  It's about 7:AM, neighbors are quietly getting into their vehicles to leave for work.  Birds are chirping and a couple of blue jays have already visited a couple of time to steal peanuts I have laid out for them.  A hummingbird darts back and forth between the feeder and a branch where he rests while watching over his domain.  I lean back in my rocker while thinking: Life is good.

In the distance I hear sirens.  Must be police sirens, I think to myself.  I then hear a vehicle accelerating and the sound tells me the driver must have it floored.  A large full-size vehicle comes blowing by doing about 80MPH.  The speed limit in this normally quiet residential area is 25MPH.  About 200 yards behind comes a black and white with red lights and siren and it is followed by two more black and whites also doing about 80MPH.  I take a sip from my mocha cappuccino.  I must be in California....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Viv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I must be in California
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 10:21:54 PM »
Ahhh...city life eh? {:-P;;

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:24:28 PM »
Your morning sounds more like paradise. Only the idiot speeding can bring one back to reality! {-) {-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:58:40 AM »
Mikey,
I could have written the same thing..Happens here too... Im in 'suburbia', and on a main drag, speed limit 25...Sort of ruins the moment, wouldnt you agree?
Had 2 cars smashed on my street... MY vehicles, both at the same time! one was totalled, the other, 7 grand in damage... one month after i moved in!

terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline LilithFair

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 04:16:21 AM »
When we lived in Los Angeles, we would do the same thing. Sit out in front of the bungalow and have breakfast by the orange tree...but it was never speeding cars that would make us say "must be California"...it was machine gun fire in the distance

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 05:23:58 AM »
So did the cops catch the idiot?

And more importantly, how many peanuts are left?

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 06:10:53 AM »
Quick, quick - Channel 5. They will cut away from a Presidential inaugural address to cover a car chase!

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 07:24:28 AM »
Was the eye in the sky out and how far was the KTLA News Chopper?
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline LilithFair

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 08:24:35 AM »
We had friends who lived about 5 miles away from us in Venice. Venice is pretty notorious for crime. One day they went home from work and there was yellow police tape across their driveway and an outline in white tape on the sidewalk of a body with a puddle of dried blood in it. While they were away someone had been shot in their driveway. A bit unnerving, to say the least!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 09:32:54 AM »
There was no "eye in the sky" when they came by here, neither news nor law enforcement.  Most cities in Orange County are relatively small and although they have their own police departments, only the larger cities keep a bird up in the sky.  They could request a helicopter from another jurisdiction or the OC Sheriffs but most pursuits end quickly.  I have no idea how this one ended but I hope the guy being chased got his arse kicked by the cops for ruining my moment of relaxation and meditation.....  The 91 freeway is about 3 miles north of me and when the OJ "slow pursuit" was going on I saw a swarm of helicopters circling and then I turned on the tv to see what was going on.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 07:16:56 PM »
Years ago, early 90's I think, our local cable company carried KTLA.  It became one of our favorite channels........the OJ chase, fires, earthquakes and occasionally, a parade ;D
Recently my 86 year old mother was thinking of changing from DishTV back to cable and asked if she could get still get KTLA, it was her favorite ;)  Was the girl in the choppers name Jennifer York?
Karen

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 09:37:17 PM »
Was the girl in the choppers name Jennifer York?
Karen: Yes, but she is no longer with KTLA.  Her bio says she is now with a local Christian radio station.

http://jenniferyork.com/splash.html

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 03:07:48 PM »
When they do move on the company never says a word.  My fave was Gretchen Carr on the local CBS affiliate, ch 2
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"