Author Topic: water lettuce  (Read 899 times)

Offline wags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
water lettuce
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
I bought a couple of water lettuce plants yesturday for our pond and I was wondering if anyone has any info about them??  like do the flower and do they spread?? Thanks wags

Offline Amy

• Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: water lettuce
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »
They definately will spread, within a few weeks mine had baby shoots off them!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:56:39 PM »
they do spread like wild fire...but, don't bloom....I have some as big as saucers.....but, in a pond situation they probably won't get that big because the fish love to nibble on the roots...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »
Actually, they do bloom but the blooms are the same color as the rest of the plant. You really have to look close to see them. Also, WH's produce seeds. :)

Just call me Mr. Invasive Species. {:-P;;

:)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
Actually, they do bloom but the blooms are the same color as the rest of the plant. You really have to look close to see them. Also, WH's produce seeds. :)

Just call me Mr. Invasive Species. {:-P;;

:)

The flowers are dioecious (requiring male and female), and are hidden in the middle of the plant amongst the leaves.  Small green berries form after successful fertilization.  The plant can also undergo asexual reproduction.  Mother and daughter plants are connected by a short stolon, forming dense mats.  This is the normal method of reproduction in non-tropical zones.

Invasive is not the word for it.  From the Nile near Lake Victoria in Africa, it is now present, either naturally or through human introduction, in nearly all tropical and subtropical fresh waterways.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"