Author Topic: Was it worth the three year wait?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Was it worth the three year wait?
« on: June 22, 2009, 07:57:42 PM »
It has been three years since I've had any hardies to bloom except N. mexicana and N. helvola. Yesterday was the beginning, I hope, of a whole new era for me. N. alba has shown herself.

Day one.

Day two.

Now if only the others will follow so I can tag them. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Was it worth the three year wait?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:29:07 PM »
I have  N. Alba but has never bloomed.
I just fertilized it and I got my hopes that I will see a white lily.
BTW yours are awesome.
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline danzcool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »
It looks great!
But...  I have thrown into the compost or traded away hardy lilies that bloom infrequently.  I had several whites (home depot "rainbow collection"... as long as every color of the rainbow is white  ::)) that would only bloom about 2 or three times a year, when compared with something like Colorado that had a few blooms up every day, let's just say I started asking about bloom reliability after that.  Hopefully your white will go crazy this year.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:19:50 AM »
Do they bloom infrequently because there is too much shade, or is it because you got it as a very small piece of rhizome and are growing it out?

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:38:41 AM »
I had to wait 7 years for my aurora to bloom...and it took a severe dividing and an overload of fertilizer...it has bloomed well every since....Its funny how long were willing to wait for a lily bloom but, go bonkers when waiting on the green light at a traffic light  {:-P;;.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
It bloomed when I first got it, like all the others, and don't know how many years it bloomed after that but I know it's been three, maybe four years since I had any blooms besides N. mexicana and N. helvola. The main reason, China Marks moth. Secondary reason, pond snail over population. :(

Now, I'm hoping to turn that around but I still have a battle with the CM moth and no BT. So, for now, I'm mashing the little devils with my fingers. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »
It bloomed when I first got it, like all the others, and don't know how many years it bloomed after that but I know it's been three, maybe four years since I had any blooms besides N. mexicana and N. helvola. The main reason, China Marks moth. Secondary reason, pond snail over population. :(

Now, I'm hoping to turn that around but I still have a battle with the CM moth and no BT. So, for now, I'm mashing the little devils with my fingers. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:53:04 AM »
Scott there is a varity of sunfish called Readear that almost exclusivly eats snails. If you could get one it would rid your pond of the buggers if they are causing that big of a problem. Only one since you don't want them to reproduce.

Last year I purchased James Brydon and it bloomed well potted in a one gallon container. This spring I divided it into three keeping two divisions and sending one to a friend. Yesterday between the two potted in 1 & 2 gallon containers I had 7 blooms. My question is how many blooms at one time can I expect out of this lily. I'm pretty shocked at the production since I really divided it hard this spring. I do fertilize with Jobes tomato spikes.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:29:44 AM »
Scott there is a varity of sunfish called Readear that almost exclusivly eats snails. If you could get one it would rid your pond of the buggers if they are causing that big of a problem. Only one since you don't want them to reproduce.

Last year I purchased James Brydon and it bloomed well potted in a one gallon container. This spring I divided it into three keeping two divisions and sending one to a friend. Yesterday between the two potted in 1 & 2 gallon containers I had 7 blooms. My question is how many blooms at one time can I expect out of this lily. I'm pretty shocked at the production since I really divided it hard this spring. I do fertilize with Jobes tomato spikes.

frogman3- where did you get this fish? Can it be found at pet stores, or is it more exotic?
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:16:22 PM »
Fish Hatcheries sell them for stocking natural farm ponds as well as bass, catfish ect. They look just like a bluegill except they have a red spot on the gill covering. Sometimes they are called Shellcrackers. If you know anyone who has a pond for sport fishing check with them. I mis spelled the name it is redear sunfish.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:18:50 PM by frogman3 »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »
Congrats on your 1st in 3yrs!  Now I can ID my white lily without a tag...it looks like your alba too!  I got 2 from Ladyblues last year.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
I'm tagging them since they don't bloom all twelve months. That way, I'll know what's what if I have to move them.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"