Author Topic: Perplexed Over Pot Size  (Read 868 times)

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Perplexed Over Pot Size
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
I’m lil-ignorant.

I'm sitting here staring at a row of blooming-sized bare-root tropicals and empty pots, utterly stymied over what size pot I should use for my short season (probably only mid June-maybe mid September) zone 6, with less than full sun. 

Do I use a pint size ala Sean’s Dixie cup protocol? I also have 1.5 quart, 2.5 quart, 1 gallon… larger? I planted Rad Michelle’s huge Albert Greenberg in a squat 5 gallon but now wonder if that was too big.  (I plant hardies in 9”h x 22”w quarter-barrels.)

Question #1: to overwinter, is it better to have a tuber and store it? Put entire pot in a stocktank in the basement with grow lights? Something else?

Question #2: if tuber is the way to go, does planting the tropicals in a <quart pot help force one to be made? Then stop fertilizing in September and lift the crown to water level?

Anyone have advice on pot size so I can get these in the pond?

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexed Over Pot Size
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:50 PM »
I pot all of my parent tropicals in 1 gallon pots.  If I want to try & force it to tuber I will plant in a quart size pot.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline enzo

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Members
  • Entrepreneur, marketer, and more...
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lorenzo Orlando Caum
Re: Perplexed Over Pot Size
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »
Hello, I use 4.5 inch quart pots with holes in them. As winter comes and goes--in the spring when I repot, I find tubers in the pots.

If you have a tuber and you know its alive (sprouted or recently pulled from a plant)--the safest bet would be to place it in a tropical aquarium. A basement setup would also work.
--
Lorenzo
Buy tropical water lilies — Utopia Aquatic
An Enzo12 LLC venture

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"