Author Topic: Greetings all, new to the board.  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings all, new to the board.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 05:25:59 AM »
Welcome Lynne, great looking patio. How did you lay the grout? I've heard that you can use one of those cookie dough squeeze things but how did you do it? I'm going to be using it soon.

Hi Bullfrog,

If you were doing a small section, you could probably use a squeeze tube of some kind. But, you'd still need a float too. I went through a couple of them before I found one I liked. This tile application 'ate up' the black rubber ones like crazy. So if you were using normal tiles, rubber would be fine, but not for something which has a fairly sharp edge to it.  The float I liked had a semi-hard surface on it, and after 500+ sq.ft only has some scratches on it This is the one I used;

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100149353

Since my grout lines fluctuated from 1/2"-3/4", it was crucial that the grout was mashed down in there as much as possible. I did most of the grout in 2 steps. First application which got the grout down in there, then I let it set/sink for a few minutes, until the top was dry, then applied another coat, which I would let dry even longer-like 30-45 minutes, then I took a barely damp sponge and started to take off the excess, so it would stay level with the top of the tile edge. If you are working with larger grout lines, and it will get a lot of water/movement, you really need to pack the grout in there. It will also sink as it drys, and it will crack when cured if you don't. And if the grout line is large, use sanded grout.( you probably already know this) I used my grout very thick too, so I'm not sure it would have squeezed out of anything.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome, so squeezing anything, for extended times, is difficult for me.  :-\ I did this patio in sections anywhere from 3'X5', to sections as small as 1'X3', depending on how the placing of the tile was going that day. ;) I went through 30 bags of grout, 15 bags of mortar, about 40 cases of tiles.  :D

I have lots of tips for laying tile, and grouting, which I learned in this process. For instance, the dryer the sponge when you are removing excess, the smoother the grout surface will be. If you keep rubbing it lightly, it almost 'polishes' the top of the grout, which makes it more stain proof. (makes a very smooth-almost sealed looking grout)Oh, and if you're grouting outside, don't do it in full sun! You'll never get the grout haze off, and the sun makes it dry too fast, and it cracks as it dries.

Sorry to make this so long, but there might be some helpful info in it for you.  :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"