Author Topic: I cant believe what I just read today "Fun CHEAP dates  (Read 2068 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I cant believe what I just read today "Fun CHEAP dates
« on: July 28, 2009, 07:35:42 PM »
In cosmopolitian today at the checkout counter, I was reading fun cheap dates and couldnd believe when it suggested he take his date to sams club, kostco or something similiar to sample the free foods.  Although I would enjoy this now as I love to go and sample, I am quiet sure I would not have had a 2nd date  as a teen if someone took me there to dinner. hehehhe

tink

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I cant believe what I just read today "Fun CHEAP dates
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
As a first date?  That's kamikaze-like.  But when one girl I dated years ago suggested we go to Costco and sample the free food I thought it was awesome.  It's not really about being cheap...it's about making a plan, making the trip and walking the aisles talking and being together.  Sadly, too many women these days put a $ sign on dates, if he doesn't spend enough then he's not worth it.  Sometimes the best dates don't cost a thing because you just can't put a price on being together.  But no, first date is a little weird. 

I don't think the first date should be an $80 meal, either.  I did that once...and after the date we were heading back to my car and she freaked out....she saw her ex boyfriend's best friend and she acted like she was caught committing a crime.  I insisted on her telling me why that was such an issue...I mean, we were in our 40's.  Turns out that she broke up with her boyfriend, so she told me, the month before but they were still living together in a one bedroom apt.  So if he saw her with me, he would tell her "ex".

Yeah....eighty clams wasted on a cheater. 
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:57:25 PM »
Yeah....eighty clams wasted on a cheater.
Hate cheaters... >:(-
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:27:40 PM »
you and me both, compadre!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »
The Costco thing sounds like a nice, low-to-no pressure sort of outing, where you would be free to talk and move around, but not have to put on any fake personality or actions.  You could also go walk around a mall, park, or other place,,,, but I think having the food samples gives you something to do, plus, you have a conversation starter because you can discuss the food samples.

Not a bad idea, really, IMO.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:01:59 PM »
I was shy around girls and a girl asked me out for my first date to the County Fair.  It was bad timing because I had just spent every nickle I had rebuilding the engine to my 55 Chevy.  I told her I was broke and she offered to go Dutch.  I had just a few dollars, nothing more.  I had a coin collection of a bunch of old dimes and buffalo head nickles and such and I took that with me for spending money.  At the fair grounds we stopped at one of those places where you toss dimes on to glass dishes.  The carny working it got all excited because I was tossing silver, not copper sandwiched, dimes.....  I no longer have a coin collection....

Oh, and I eventually married the only person I ever dated.  That was 40 years ago....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »
That CostCo date could be a lot more fun around here, they also offer samples of liquors, you get a small shot of tequila in one aisle and maybe a rum in another, and wine in a third. 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
Well, Mikey, I hope you're more prepared for dinner these days...but it seems like she wouldn't mind either way!!! 

kewl story....

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 06:05:03 PM »
Mikey, do you still take her to the county fair for a date? I think you "wine and dine" Bev pretty well from what I've heard.

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 08:54:48 PM »
Had a grad student at Penn State who was infamous among his classmates for taking first dates to the deer pens the university kept.  Everyone had a great laugh over this.  He explained to me that if his date didn't think the deer and fawns were worth watching for a half hour, then he didn't bother driving from the deer pens to the steak house, he'd drop her off at her home. 

I still admire that young man.
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 06:44:58 AM »
Not that I'd ever do this, but if I did I don't think she would be willing to "go out" with me again. First dates change as we age I guess. If a woman measures a man by the amount of dollars he lays on the table, I don't want any part of that woman. Maybe the boardwalk in Kemah or the Seawall in Galveston, a botanical garden or even the zoo. Rent a canoe and paddle the creek but I don't think I'd take the Costco route.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 07:17:43 AM »
Love the story mickey!

I think what caught my eye was how they presented it.. or how i perceived they presented it.  At 16ish or so if a guy had specifically asked me out to dinner and took me to costco or sams it would not have went over to well. 

I dont think I have ever been the out for the money type of person but I did like to be treated as special  and seems like it was a huge thing about guys being cheapos back in the 70's.. hmm I cant remember now hehehe.

tink

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 07:20:08 AM »
You know, Tink, I think that if it's called "going out for dinner" then yes...that's lame and she should leave him at the moment he has to show is club card.  But if they are just looking to spend some time together and say "hey, let's go walk around Costco and snack on the samples" then that's different.  But "dinner"????  That's not dinner!  lol

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 07:30:07 AM »
Was she fetching back then, too, Mickey?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 08:50:53 AM »
Absolutely  O0

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 09:19:04 AM »
she is a beauty!  Whose that handsome dude in the background. :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"