Author Topic: Got the hall pond planted  (Read 4288 times)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Got the hall pond planted
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »
holy cow that's awesome!! O0 You've done a lot of work there. Its beautiful. :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 01:35:55 PM »
Yes Jerry, they do make bamboo furniture here and some of it is really gorgeous.  Of course, the stuff I like is not the cheap stuff  :P   I've been scouting the used furniture places and refinishing places as well.  I found an ebony rectory table that I would love for the office as my desk, I have to take Mimi to see it and see if they will come down a little.  There is also a town just outside the city that specializes in stone work, mainly limestone and a local marble.  I'm thinking of getting a coffee table made there for the living room, they are getting me a quote.  We do have to worry about termites a lot here, unless it is made from a hardwood they will eat it quickly.  Even the hardwoods have to be treated every few years.  But oh, they have some gorgeous tropical hardwoods here.  Some that I've never seen before with wonderful grain and some that are exorbitant in the US.  The Rosewood, Ceder, Ebony, Mahogany are all the ones I recognize and the others I only know the local names. 

Offline robie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »
Thanks all, you're right Kitty, we've got the essentials but I keep buying plants and fish instead of coffee tables and lamps.   lol
lol lol  lol it happens  lol lol lol
great work you  put in the house ¡¡¡ amazing ¡¡¡¡

O0 O0
i love my turtle and pond ¡¡¡

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »
Thanks all, you're right Kitty, we've got the essentials but I keep buying plants and fish instead of coffee tables and lamps.   lol
:-\ :-\ :-\ My mom told me once, if you keep on spending all your money on plants you will not have any new clothes and so hope those water lilies will cover you good. :-\ :-\
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline robie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »
.  There is also a town just outside the city that specializes in stone work, mainly limestone and a local marble.  I'm thinking of getting a coffee table made there for the living room, they are getting me a quote. 

just begin the feria in dzitia, the town specializes in stone work,  they call it tunich 09 .
you may find good pricez now ¡¡¡

O0 O0

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »
Yes!  I had the date for the feria in my calendar.  I have to go to the coast this weekend, we are doing the annual free spay, neuter and vaccine clinic with 15 veterinarians, 8 from the vet school here in Merida and 7 from Playa del Carmen.  We will fix and vaccinate hundreds of dogs and cats from 2 pueblos.  So, I will miss the fair this weekend but I understand that it will also be open next weekend so then I will go.  I hope there are some good deals, that would be great. 

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
jonna... question for ya.  My dad use to visit mexico with a group of men from church.  I believe they went to medida but not sure now if I misunderstood and is merida where you are.  They were in villages where people still lived in huts and the whole family slept in one huge hammock.  Anyway.  What I wanted to ask was everytime they went, they brought us home theses huge bugs.  The back part of the body was long and kind of oblong and then it the head part was joined and was round.  So like two seperate parts to the body and 8 or maybe 6  legs if I remember correctly.  anyway.. They had a hard shell but the locals took these bugs and glued rows of jewels and stones on the back and a tiny gold chain as a trim around the entire back part of the body.  The head had the jewels glued on in a circle so most of the bugs back and head was covered.  But they were worn as live broaches.  You pinned the bug to you with the little chain and it walked around in a circle on you.  We keep them in tiny boxes and they ate pieces of wood that we had to wet.  I had one bug that lived almost two years.  I have never found anybody else from mexico that seen them or knew what they were.  They definately got attention anywhere we all wore them or took them to school.  I had a teacher one time swear it was battery operated hehehe.  Just wondering if you knew what they were and had seen them.

tink

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 11:25:12 PM »
Yes! This is the same city!  Mérida is pronounced more like Medida in English.  There are Makech bugs, a type of wood eating beatle like a scarab, that are sold in the market here covered in jewels.  They are only found here that I know of, I've never seen them in other parts of Mexico.  How cool that your dad was here way back then. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v1IpaLzBY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEuguCitwXY

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 05:10:12 AM »
Holy moly, isn't that hurting that little creature...
It looks cool, but poor little thing, well that will at least keep it alive some people will just smash it as soon as they see it.
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »
thats It!!!  I have searched for termite and any other term I could think of and never been able to bring anything up on the web and now with a name it brings up all kind of things.  I am sure I could not get one now as the last time they were there 10 years or so ago, they had to smuggle them back in under their lapels since it was illegal to bring bugs or fruit. hehehe. 

I use to have a whole wardrobe full of all diffferent colors for different outfits but even then I would never let one of the bug actually touch my skin.  I wore it. and handled it by lifting it with its chain.  I could not stand the thought of those clinging type legs wrapped on my fingers.  One time I didnt have it pinned well and in church it was crawling away and I was panicked cause I couldnd get to the chain wihtout touching the bug.  Never did outgrow the bug squimish part but had to have one since they were the rave  :)

Have seen many slide shows of medida and the surrounding areas.  One in particular I use to amase at was the sports type arena.  A huge tall enclosed type concrete block looking thingy.. but anyway they had a very small hoop as I remember it and the losing team leader had to die.  I am not sure how often that happened since the odds of anybody ever getting something in that small of a hole that high up had to be almost zero .

tink
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:37:37 AM by tinkster »

Offline robie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »
the maquech ¡¡¡
i see  maquech in mexico df, 20 year ago , i was a kid, play in dead wood , and i see them ¡¡¡
with no jewelry ,  lol lol
poor escarabajos  :'( :'( 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:20:26 PM by robie »

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 01:59:07 PM »
See, I was spelling it wrong  {nono}   You'll probably find even more if you spell it as Robie did, Maquech.   

I've had sellers put them on me trying to sell them, they are cute but I don't want one.  I really doubt you could bring one back to the US.  Can you imagine the Customs freak out?  Heh!

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »
Wow Jonna, that's just gorgeous!!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"