Author Topic: Snails eating my lotus...help  (Read 1073 times)

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Snails eating my lotus...help
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
As some of you may remember my lotus was growing so vigorous and then yesterday I saw it all murky and kinda losing it leaves, today when I looked if there was something going on I saw snails in the downward part of the leaf, are they doing that to my lotus...even if they were not I got rid of them, I just kinda squished them, feel bad though.
But the thing is question is are they doing that to my lotus?
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snails eating my lotus...help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:03:31 PM »
That happens to my lily pads when they are getting old or damaged.  More often than not there will be a snail underneath eating the decay.  Just pick them off and feed them to turtles or squish them.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:05 PM »
I saw 3 of 'em on a new leaf and the leaf kinda looked decaying and so that made me realize it may had been them.
That is why I squished them all.
There were not that many but the worst leaf looks like if someone sucked all of the inside and now looks like dead but some others are fine and there are 2 new leaves coming up one I may say kinda looks aereal.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »
My best advice would be to take a peek every so often and look for snails.  Pick and squish until the problem is solved.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »
Chances are, Howell, is that the leaf started dying first then the snails started eating it. Just be glad that you don't have sandwichmen to deal with. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 05:26:49 PM »
Thanks Katfish...
And thanks Scott but what sandwichman is? that just cracks me up.... lol

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
Sandwichmen are the larvae of the China Marks Moth. They wouldn't crack you up if they attacked your lotus or water lilies. {nono}
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
Ok, now I hate sandwichman even though I do not know them, but yeah death to all the sandwichman out there.... >:(-
I will squish all of my snails and look for more all of this days, they are going down...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"