Author Topic: Wild Turkey in my yard....  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Wild Turkey in my yard....
« on: August 01, 2009, 07:15:13 AM »
Had enough of human 'Turkeys' in my life... ::) ...but this one is the real deal, and welcome and seems to have more sense than some.   ;)

30 feet off our deck, where the kids are building a mini make believe city, and under the birdfeeders.
He was eating all the sunflower seeds on the ground and making turkey noises while I had my morning cup of joe and breakfast on the deck.

8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Turkey in my yard....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:48:27 AM »
That's pretty cool.  And I recall seeing your photos of the deer last winter.  We never get to see that kind of wildlife here in the flatlands.......but before I fenced in our front yard I once had a drunk wander across....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:00:51 AM »
He looks like he owns the whole road, the way he's strutting down that avenue.  And I can see Benjamin Franklin written all over him.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:06:47 AM »
Joyce, isn't it fun to see the wildlife like that. I especially like knowing that I am helping them by putting food out or having the water source for them and the bird houses too. Even the birds, squirrels, bugs, toads, dragonflies, and frogs that come to the pond make me happy. I have three birdbaths, a fountain on the deck the birds drink from, and three ponds (granted 2 are small) and two half barrels with lilies and water plants in them. So they have 9 water sources here. We have a hummingbird feeder, an oreole feeder, a regular bird feeder, a suet feeder, and two finch feeders. I told Pete that our budget would work better if we weren't buying cat food, dog food, fish food and bird food. But I'm glad we do it.

Two years ago I saw two momma turkeys with a slew of babies bobbing around them in our back yard. Didn't think to get pictures. Down through the years, the turkeys have moved more south and more south and closer to town in Michigan. It isn't strange any more to see them in the fields or even crossing the roads on foot, or is that claw.

We also have deer that come on the back of our lot. It isn't particularly a woodland but there is a narrow strip of wooded area there. What they come for though is the two old apple trees there that noone takes care of. One tree is on our neighbor's lot near their garden. Sometimes they eat the pumpkins too. Pete said that earlier this week he was out in the gully walking Smokey and he saw two good sized bucks together. Smokey didn't see them but the bucks saw them and turned and left right away. Two years ago, we often saw two young bucks together during the summer. They were bothering the garden two lots down from here and she finally put up a taaalllll fence. I don't remember seeing them last summer but they are back now. I suspect they are the same two.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:28:32 AM »
Actually that is a hen. We have lots of turkey around here, but we rarely see them between spring and summer. I think it has something to do with raising the babies. Same with the deer, though we will catch a glimpse of them late summer. We saw a fawn a week ago. Oh he was so cute.  o(:-)

A male turkey (Tom) has a redder head, and has a beard hanging from his chest like the pic. Now a Jake (young male turkey) may not have a beard his first year, and looks like a female, but the redder head can usually distinguish it a male.

If the male is angered, or horny (can I say that?) his head and neck will become even redder. If he's looking for love he will fan out his tail. A beautiful sight. They are really a fascinating bird.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »
Joyce, at least your turkey has the right sense walk by the side of the road  ;)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »
We see them around here a lot too.  Usually they are pretty skittish, but one time there was a tom standing by our mailbox and hubby got out of the truck and picked it up.  It road up our drive in the truck with him, we took some pics and turned it loose.

Karen

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 10:50:14 AM »
That's cool.  The only wild turkey I've ever seen was the one my dad used to drink  ::)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
No Nancy, you can't say that word here. lOL

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »
Oh well sorry Esther......... lol

I have to stand corrected by dh. When the male is aroused (can I say that?) he actually turns more BLUE than red. Sorry I dont mean to hog the thread, but I just wanted to show you (even though my pics aren't the best taken thru a window) how pretty turkey can be. In the sun their backs have a pretty glimmer to them.

When they are in full strut they almost look majestic. He just prances, dances, and struts, it's an awesome sight in person.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 06:18:38 PM »
Nancy, you are just pushing your luck on this thread!!! >:(- That turkey is certain majestic. Once a customer showed me  a picture of a male turkey who came out of the woods every day to do his presentation in the reflection of the patio door.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »
Usually the feathers on the hen's neck extend further up to the head. Sometimes the hens can have beards too although it is rare
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"