Author Topic: Kicking back and enjoying the wonder of it all...  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Kicking back and enjoying the wonder of it all...
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »
I enjoy sitting in our patio in the front yard beneath the umbrella where I can sip my mocha cappuccino in the morning or drink fresh squeezed lemonade in the afternoon while being entertained by the small creatures that have come to visit with me.  I have planted various flowers and plants that attract both butterflies and hummingbirds. 

The hummingbirds are year-round residents and I supplement their nourishment with a couple of feeders filled with sugar water.  We mostly get Anna’s hummingbirds in our yard.  Anna’s hummers like to chatter a lot.  Hummers look like such gentle creatures but they can behave very aggressively when another hummer appears and in my yard there are constant territorial skirmishes.  When at the feeder the hummers usually are looking about between sips for other hummers.  When another hummer appears the two take off in a short-lived territorial battle.  Occasionally I will hear them bump into each other and I’m assuming the sound is from their wings making contact.  They appear to be more tolerant of each other when feeding on the salvias or other flowers.   Anna’s also have weird aerial acrobatics at times.  The bird will slowly fly vertically up to 50-100’ or so and then suddenly dive straight down and make a popping sound as it stops its descent.  They may do this several times in a row.

Right now I have three resident Monarch butterflies.  Two weeks ago I had only one but two others must have hatched out.  These gentle slow flying butterflies soar about the yard from morning to dusk.  Did I say gentle?  These rascals also are quite territorial as well.  When feeding they tend to ignore each other but if flying about, which they are often doing as if they are on patrol, they aggressively go after each other, usually doing a brief vertical barrel roll followed by a brief chase.  This behavior occurs many times each day.  The backyard has some passion vines and occasionally a Fritillary will venture out front and briefly do battle with one of the Monarchs.  I have lots of milkweed growing which is the plant the Monarchs lay their eggs on and thus I have a constant supply of Monarchs as they hatch out at various times during the year.

A recent visitor has been the Cloudless Giant Sulphur butterfly.  This one is always in a hurry and suddenly appears and just as quickly it disappears.  I used to see this butterfly only occasionally but this year I see it almost daily.  Being curious as to what host plants it likes I learned it likes plants in the pea family.  I then realized that it was coming to my yard to visit because I have a popcorn plant in the back yard that I planted last year.  The popcorn plant is a member of the pea family and although I have not seen the Giant Sulphur on the plant I am betting that is what attracting it to my yard.

At this time of the year the baby California fence lizards that hatched out are now large enough to notice and scamper away to avoid being stepped on.  They are only an inch or two long at this time and are just the cutest little guys.  They too must be careful of the 6-8” adults who have already claimed the territory.  I notice one little guy has claimed the Jacaranda tree in the parkway as his territory.  As they get larger they will eventually get chased off my property and will have to settle down elsewhere. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Kicking back and enjoying the wonder of it all...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
The hummingbirds around here enjoy doing fly-by's to me while I'm around the potting shed. Sounds like Star Wars. Of course, with the rain that we have been having every day, if we sat down outside with a drink, the mosquitoes would be drinking our blood at the same time. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
Thanks Mikey for the enjoyable tour of the critters in your yard. I too love to watch God's 2,4, 6, but not 8 legged creation in my yard but don't know their names much.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »
Wow, that was like reading a natural history book.  And thanks for the photos ... You got me curious, and I was going to Google, but your pictures saved me having to track down images. 

I have newly hatched Carolina anoles ("chameleons") scampering around the yard right now, and I'm enjoying the fleeting glimpses I get of them.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »
Beautiful shots!!  Thanks for sharing the enjoyment.  :)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
She said it well!

It is like reading from natural History magazine.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 06:03:03 AM »
Great pictures Mike. It's driving me crazy having all of this time on my hands and not being able to start on the yard. Being off with my knee if the corporate P.I. gets a picture of me with a shovel I'm fired.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:44:13 AM »
Thank you so much for this post.  :)

I felt like I was sitting there with you, just plain coffee for me, with a little cream.  ;)

Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"