Author Topic: Plants from my trip to the NC Mountains....  (Read 2164 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Plants from my trip to the NC Mountains....
« on: July 23, 2009, 08:26:50 PM »
As usual I have no clue what they are but I found them hiking to the waterfall in deep shade on the hillside so I presume dry.  I am not sure if they are the same plants in different stages of varigation or what.  They were in different parts of the hike.  The viened varigated one has probably 12" spikes of white flowers that reminds me of hucheria type flowers.  Maybe what it is.. I liked it though and brought it home to put with my trilium I brought home. 

Tink

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Plants from my trip to the NC Mountains....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:34:38 AM »
Tink, 
The first one, the one with the veined leaves is,  Rattlesnake Plantain, Goodyera pubescens.  It is a wild orchid.
I do not know what the other one is. 

Ruth   o( o( o(
Ruth

Offline rdrboone

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:57:44 AM »
Tink,

The other plant is "Spotted Wintergreen",  Chimaphila maculata.

Ruth o( o( o(
Ruth

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:22 AM »
The other one is Chimaphila maculata.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline rdrboone

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »
Tink,
The Spotted wintergreen is also called "Pipsissewa"

Ruth o( o( o(
Ruth

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:25:35 AM »
thanks!  There is always so much conflicting informations isnt there. I am reading articles talking about it being protected and rare and it was all over the mountains there.  One site says they need to be extremely moist and other dry.  These were found on very steep inclines in total heavy shade with a huge canopy of trees and soil so dry it was almost exacttly like a handful of peat moss.  Will see what they do.  Seems they could be picky to grow.  I just liked the looks of them and have what I call my mountain garden that reminds me of my mamaw.

Ruth what part of NC are you from?

tink

Offline rdrboone

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »
Tink,

I live in the mountains.

Ruth o( o( o(
Ruth

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 08:15:50 PM »
I remember now.. I think I Sent you a lotus or lily or something.  I have no memory hardly .  I passed pretty close to you  at johnson city going to Chimney rock/ asheville area.  That is gods country there, I just love it. 

Tink

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 06:19:38 AM »
I remember now.. I think I Sent you a lotus or lily or something.  I have no memory hardly .  I passed pretty close to you  at johnson city going to Chimney rock/ asheville area.  That is gods country there, I just love it. 

Tink

Tink:

We love that area too.  In my former life I was a kayak instructor and raft guide on several of the area rivers, and still spend as much time as I can in the area.  I even love the winters!!!

Between Asheville and Chimney Rock/Lake Lure there is a home up on a hillside on the right with a million gazillion daylilies.  Hope you saw it-the lady there sells them.  She lets you wander around the landscape and pick the ones you like and she digs them up and bags them.  Lots were $4 for a blooming, two or three fan plant!!!  My wife and I stopped there a few weeks ago and filled our trunk up for less than $50.  Then we went down to Lake Lure and ate lunch on the water at Larkin's on the Lake.  Nice day for sure!

Steve

Offline rdrboone

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »
Tink, 
Yes, you did send me a white lotus.    It only have surface pads... it has been too cool and rainy this summer for the lotus.  We had two nights last week when the temp went down to 48 degrees!!!  Our day time temps have been between 52 and 73 degrees all summer.    Oh well,  the lotus is still alive so maybe I will get some blooms later this summer or next year. 

You are right about this being God's country.  We really love it and would much rather have the cool temps here than the high 90's that we had when we lived in FL.

Ruth  o( o( o(
Ruth

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
steve... Wanted to stop at that house this time but it was kind of late in the evening when I got went up the mountain and thought I would do it coming out and didnt.  I am gonna one day... Her lilies were in bloom and beuatiful.  We call that the last house before ya head up the mountain to gerton.

Ruth.  Well if it dont take off next year I will have momo botton and rosea plena to share so we can try again!

tink

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
That's the one.  Hard to see coming back so I understand you "forgetting" it, but no gardener worth his or her salt would miss spotting that on the drive down this time of year!  Figured you saw it!!!  When the wife and I were there on Fourth of July weekend, they were adding another 20 feet of length to that main bed out front, so even more eye candy next year!

Nice lady too, you would be there at least an hour longer than you expect just talking.  And whatever you do, don't bring up the subject of their wood-fired boiler-you will never get away once the husband starts talking about that!!!

Steve

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »
hehehe.. that would be my kind of place!  I call it a priveledge but I was raised in the summer their at my mamaws.  I saw got to live two differentworlds..  we still made soap and butter and u name it.. We carried and boiled our water for baths, the spring house keep the food cold. the water ran from a spring at the top of the mountain down through this small old pipe and into a huge sink in the kitchen but you never turned the water off.  IT had to run all the time.  thhen I would go home to modern.. I am not sure I liked it that much then but I sure do now but mostly the people there amaze me.   I will definately not miss them again no matter what type of flack I get about how late it is!

tink

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 05:48:04 AM »
You and I have a lot in common.  I was at lunch over at my 90 year old grandpa's Wednesday (he had fried fish and cooked up my fresh out of the garden october beans) and much of the talk ended up paralleling your post.  I spent my summers with him and grandma on the tobacco farm growing up, and what is funny is he was reminding my how to churn butter and how much I complained about it!!!  I swear at 90 his mind remembers stuff better than mine does!  I cherish that time, but I am not too romantic about it-I like having A/C, hot and cold running water, and a grocery store right down the road.  But I still love my veggie garden (dinner last night was all vegetables-corn on the cob, tomatoes, cucumbers with vinegar and olive oil and grilled okra) and am glad he taught me how to live off the land if I have to!!!

Oh, back to the daylily lady.  My wife was twitching like she needed to go to the bathroom and giving me "Come on NOW!" looks the whole time I was talking to the husband about the boiler.  I may have to cook lasagna and cheesecake for her sometime as a bribe to get another chance to stop there, no matter the time!!!

Steve

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 07:12:47 PM »
you are soooo right... we have much in common... I stilll probalby have stains from stripping tobacco hehehe.  The tip the bulk etc etc.  We sure had to work hard then.  While we were there for the summer we had to make sure my mamaw had enough firewood to heat and cook by for the winter, any type of food you can imagine canned, some of my bigger strapping cousins where harnessed into the plow like horses.  Eww I am sure I didnt like it much then.  I guess you know how much better food cooked on a wood stove is then. 

for lasanga and cheesecake she should let you spend the entire day there!  I went down to lake lure this time for a hour or so.  I dont usually  go on down there.. I hike and have my private waterfalls there I would love to show you!  two tiers, each tier longer than football fields.  But ya goota be able to do a tad of hiking.  hmmm wish I could give you directions to those falls you would soooo love it.

tink

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 05:49:57 AM »
I'll let you know next time we go.  I love hiking, and have done all of the NC section of the App Trail.  Anything outdoors, I love.  As I sit here at my desk... :'(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"