Author Topic: Vickie, I got a little surprise today.  (Read 777 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Vickie, I got a little surprise today.
« on: August 12, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
My wife and I had to go do some landscaping work for a friend of ours and got paid for it. Well, when we got home, I went out to check the ponds. When I got looking, guess what I found?
Are you tired of guessing yet?
Are you ready to see?
Okay, here it is.

That's right! One of my N. minutas bloomed today and my other little girl in there had two blooms.

There is another bud ready to open on Helvola and another N. minuta with a bud at the top of the water.

Maybe someone here can answer this question. N. minuta has a bud that I never saw come up and open. It actually is growing over the side of the pot. What is up with that? Did it open when I wasn't looking  ::) or did it just self pollinate under water and is now a seed pod?

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Vickie, I got a little surprise today.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:48:03 PM »
Scott you might have missed the bloom, or it bloomed under the water. Carefully bag the bloom with water in it. Use ziplock bag be carefull not to break the bloom off. Save the seeds. I put them in water swish them around a few times to get other gunk out of water, if any. Carefully pour some water off  and I pour in a coffee filter, and let dry for a few days. Then I store them away.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »
Thanks Vickie. Will the blooms that do open at the top of the water form seeds?

Here are a few pics from today.

I like this shot. It was taken blind.

Here is another blind shot.

And here is the overall shot.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »
Yes Scott both produce seeds. I forgot to bag a bloom and the seeds scattered all over. They don't take long to burst. I am trying to do too much.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"