Author Topic: Cat concern.....see 'very sad day' post update  (Read 1937 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cat concern.....see 'very sad day' post update
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:49:43 PM »
One of our cats is 15 years old. Our daughter has had her since she was 11, this is the 1st pet that was actually our daughter's. All of our other pets have always been the family's. Her name is Dottie (because she has dots on her belly), she has lost lots of weight, doesn't move around a lot, not eating near what she usually does. I realize she is 15 so is nearer the end of her life than not, but these things have only been happening the past couple of weeks, she has always been very active. I have an appt. tomorrow, Thursday, the vet is going to give us her opinion on whether there's much than can be done to perk her up or if her life is at the end. Daughter is sad, as are all of us, but being DD's 1st pet this is tough for her. This is the part of having pets that I HATE!!!!! She doesn't seem to hurt so hopefully she can get some help. I wouldn't trade my love for animals for anything but I sure wish they could live longer, healthier lives. :'(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:57:03 AM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cat concern.....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »
I'm soo sorry to hear that...we lost our 16 year old cat last year to kidney failure...((huggs)) to your family...especially your daughter
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »
This is the hardest part, especially for your daughter.  I do think that there is great value for your daughter in learning this though.  I remember when my first dog died, I had had him since I was a baby and I was 14 or 15.  My mom told me that they love us unconditionally all their lives and all we have to do to deserve that love and devotion is provide for them and see them safely away when it is their time.  She told me I could never avoid being there with them when they passed and that I had to make the decision that they couldn't make. That was what I owed them for all of their love, to ensure that they didn't suffer.  It was the hardest thing that had ever happened in my life then, but I went with her and held my Snookie when he went to sleep.  I cried my eyes out but I never forgot and I've carried that lesson all my life and through so many sad losses and so many wonderful pets.  I think it was the last gift I got from Snookie, that I learned what my responsibilities were to his kind.  It's a tough one but it can be a great lesson as well. 

I hope that decision is years away for you and your daughter but I hope that when it comes, you can help her learn what her responsibilities are.  It's hard. 

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 05:35:56 AM »
Hope the Dr. finds something that can be easily fixed with medication but unfortunately it is heart breaking to loose a beloved pet.  As you've mentioned, the first can be the hardest.

Hang in there.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:46:10 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:24:03 AM »
So sorry to hear this, and I know it will be hard on your daughter.  But... maybe something can be done.  My neighbor's 22 year old cat recently became blind, and had bathroom issues.  But she has adjusted to being blind, and her condition seems to get better, then bad again, then better... he has had appointments twice to have her put to sleep, but the next morning she has rallied, and at this point, she is still alive and kicking.  A little slower, but still with us.

When it does come time to put your cat to sleep (and I lost my 14 yr old cat a little over a year ago), see if the vet will do this.  It meant so much to me.  Instead of just putting the cat to sleep, they can first inject a sedative, which puts the cat to sleep - not dead, but to sleep, like for surgery.  Then when it is comfortable, then they inject the final shot that stops the heart.  But it is sooo much easier this way, to see your pet a last time no longer in pain, but still breathing and loving you, and you can spend some final moments (about 10 minutes, I think) with her. 

Also think about doing something afterwards.  I was able to bury my cat in my garden.  Others had cremation, and buried the ashes.  At the very least, a little marker or statue, just something to recognize her life and her importance to you.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 07:00:10 AM »
One of my cats did that - suddenly lost weight and became much more sedate at about 15.  I took him to the vet and was told that the cat had arthritis and it's not uncommon for cats that age to self-regulate their pain by dropping weight.   We had that cat another 6 years before we lost him.  I hope your diagnosis is a good one.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's cat.  Yes, it is the most difficult part of loving a pet.  I hope you get good news from the vet.  There is such good advice in all the posts above that I can't thing of a thing to add.  Sending good thoughts and wishing your family well.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »
Why Dogs Don't Live Longer Than People
......Sent to Dr. Blake by one of his clients to share with his readers..

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year- old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience. The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him.

Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life --like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:15:27 PM »
I wish they could all live forever and I hope that someday we will be able to see them again. I'm so sorry for you and your DD and hope the vet can give poor kitty some more lives to live  :).

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:36:32 PM »
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. The vet said they will give her fluids and sometimes that helps give them a boost and appetite. I pick her up tomorrow and will know then how things look.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:21:39 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 10:59:52 PM »
I hear you.  Our cat is showing her age now also.  It's going to be very hard on our family losing her. Eventually the joy of the time they were with us will overshadow the sorrow of their death.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Amy

• Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cat concern.....see 'very sad day' post update
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »
I'm so sorry to read this, I sure hope you get good news. I have unfortunately lost 2 cats to diabetes, they had significant weight loss as a major symptom, the other was excessive drinking and urination. I lost a 10 yr old and a 13 yr old to it. The positive news is that diabetes in cats can be treated so if you get diabetes as a diagnosis keep up your hope, it can be treated! Hopefully your kitty has no prolem other than getting older!  ;) :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"