Author Topic: In memory of Braeden  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
In memory of Braeden
« on: May 22, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »
This weekend Pete and I had gone to a Corvette show about a hour's drive south eastish of here. We were backing up and seesawing around to get the Vette in position in the parking space and I noticed two ladies walking behind the car. As I was getting out, the one lady came up and said, "Are you Kevin's mom?" I about fell over. Turns out she sits next to Kevin at Radio Bible Class and had seen the picture of Braeden in Grandpa's car.

She then asked me if I had heard about the tree planted at work in Braeden's memory. I hadn't. She proceded to tell me about the plans and how seeing she sat next to Kevin was so worried that he would see her computer screen and there wouldn't be a surprise after all. The morning of the surprise, she said she wondered how she'd be able to leave and not have him wonder where she was going. So she just got up and left. Everyone was gathered around outside by the tree and someone brought Kevin out. She's telling me this and I said, "And he cried." Sure enough, he burst into tears. They had a little service and prayer and told him the placque would eventually be replaced with a bronze one and he could have the plastic one.   

Later I was telling Kevin about running into Diana and he began telling me the story from his view. He said his first thought was that they wouldn't fire him now that he has roots there. LOL

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: In memory of Braeden
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 09:56:39 AM »
A Dogwood...

According to legend the dogwood was the size of the oak and other forest trees. Being firm and strong, it was chosen as the timber for the cross, during the Crucifixtion of Christ. According to stories, the tree was distressed for being used for a cruel purpose, and Jesus being nailed to it sensed this and told the tree, "Because of your regret and pity for my suffering, never again shall the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a cross. Henceforth it shall be slender and bent and twisted and its blossoms shall be in the form of a cross, two long and two short petals. In the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints, brown with rust and stained with red, and in the middle of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see it will remember ..."

The wood of dogwood was widely used in the textile industry and to make shuttlecocks, spools, dowels, baseball bats and shingles. Dogwood is so hard that it can even be used as a wedge to split other wood. The bark was used to make tea as a remedy for fever. According to Loudon, 1838, Arboretum Euonymus, a decoction of its leaves was used to wash dogs to free them from vermin. It was used to intoxicate fishes in Jamaica and as a tobacco additive by American Indians.

British Columbia adopted the Pacific dogwood Cornus nuttallii as its official provincial flower in 1956. During World War II, the sale of dogwood lapel pins earned money to purchase wool and other comforts for British Columbian soldiers. Dogwood blossoms are depicted on British Columbia’s coat of arms and on a flag flown by franco-Columbians, or French-speaking residents.

Dogwood ~Flowers or Trees~ are the official state flowers/trees of Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Virginia & British Columbia.

On April 23, 1995 President and Mrs. Clinton planted a flowering dogwood on the grounds of the White House to memorialize the loss of life in the Oklahoma City Bombing.

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »
Thank you so much Joyce. I never thought to ask what kind of tree it was. That is fascinating, the story you told. I will copy all that you posted and send it to Kevin and Dawn. Thanks again. I have always loved Dogwood trees and wished we could have one here but I think they are kind of delicate in that they need a bit of shelter or do best planted near other trees. Our house faces west and years ago we wanted to put one at the front of the house but were advised not to. Maybe nowadays, they have ones that would do better there.

We were thinking of getting a tree for Kevin and Dawn to plant in memory of Braeden and maybe the Dogwood would be a nice choice, knowing it's history now. He wants to make a little landscaped area with benches and the willow. Aren't they a woods type rather than liking to be out in the open?

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
They'll grow anywhere.  8)

It just doesn't like it too dry.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
Esther, thank you for sharing that story.  What a memorial to little Braedon.

Joyce, I am so moved by the compassion that you showed in sharing those stories, especially the Christian one about the Dogwood.  It reinforces for me yet again, that it shouldn't make any difference in WHAT I believe, but that I BELIEVE.   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »
Joyce I'm amazed you were able to identify the tree from the picture. It wasn't a closeup to be able to see the formation of the leaves even. Not that I didn't trust your ability but UM-------- so I called Kevin. Sure enough. He told me the type and now I don't remember of course. Seems like it started with a C something dogwood. So now that you have said it likes dampness, would the willow and the dogwood like a similar type of area?

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »
It's a Kousa Dogwood. Cornus kousa.

Opps, I meant; It doesn't like dampness, it just likes constant regular moisture.
During droughts, you'll need to water it.
After it's been growing for a few years, it'll handle droughts no problem.
It's just the first couple years getting established, needs supplemental water.
Hopefully there's a sprinkler system there.

The Dogwood represents strength and compassion in just about every religion/belief.
It's a VERY strong wood.  O0

And...it's one of THE BEST woods to burn in a fireplace.
So if you know of anyone who has a dead dogwood...GET THE WOOD if you have a fireplace.
Burns hot, long, and hardly any ash. 8)

I can send you a few 'Remember Me' hostas to plant around the base if you want.
Going to be sending a few to a friend in RI who lost her husband after a long illness.  :'(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 03:50:38 PM »
Kevin cried?  Heck - I cried!  That was really sweet of the people to do.  Love the Superman logo!

Thanks, Joyce, my first question was "What kind of tree is it?" 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »
Lots of great information there Joyce. Am sending the link on to the kids. Evidently somebody they know, knows somebody with a tree farm and one of those big tree planter trucks. They are hoping to get a big enough willow to maybe use a truck like that. But first they have to open up that side of their lawn and get it ready as it is just field now.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »
An excerpt from this website:
http://www.familyhistoryarticles.com/Article/Cracking-the-Code-on-Cemetery-Ciphers/1699

• The Dogwood represents Christianity, divine sacrifice, triumph of eternal life, resurrection.   8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:46:04 AM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »
That is just awesome. 

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 09:28:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing that story.  Thank you Joyce, for the additional information.  It made me cry. 

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 11:59:34 AM »
You're welcome. :worship:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
That was an interesting article and I didn't know about a lot of that info  :).

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
They are spectacular in bloom, we have them everywhere here.
It was so nice of them to memorialize Braeden like that Esther.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
I can't wait to see it next spring when it blooms. I'll have to get a picture. I love the blossoms too.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
 o(:-) Absolutely beautiful...the people and the tree and its story.  :'(

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »
Lovely story and Esther the tree will be beautiful  :). My nephew when he was 3yrs old was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma in his posterior fossa and he had to go through surgeries and chemo and radiation and then growth hormone tx's. He made it through and he is our miracle child. He has facial problems which are due to nerve damage and they did some constructive surgery but it didn't fix it all. He also has some learning disabilities. We are so glad that he is able to be here with us all. His name is Exley. Here is a story that the tribune wrote on him:

http://archive.mailtribune.com/archive/2007/0225/local/stories/disabled-student.htm

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »

Wow, what a story about Exley. Just kick me the next time I whine about a hangnail.

Kevin and Dawn were also very aware of potential danger to Braeden, done by the various treatments as they are very aggressive with them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"