Author Topic: Restarting a tropical lily tuber?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Restarting a tropical lily tuber?
« on: August 10, 2006, 06:51:30 AM »
OK, I had this posted on the old board but never got an answer and I still need to know. I had a Red Flare lily that went dormant on me midsummer. I thought it was mush, but when I dumped out the pot I found two tubers. What is the best way to restart them now? I can keep them going nicely over the winter under my growlights.

Do I float them in water until I see sprouts and then pot up?
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting a tropical lily tuber?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:02:45 AM »
Sheila,
  I found this on the Victoria site:
 In late February or early March I restart the tubers in my greenhouse. I float the tubers in warm water (75-80 degrees F) so they can produce small plants. I then take the babies off the tuber and pot into small cups.
Hope this helps a bit

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting a tropical lily tuber?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 07:29:18 AM »
Yes I plant the tubers in a small pot and put in water. Then in the winter I either put in aquariums or store the tubers in damp sand after rolling in captan ( to keep meldew off tuber) and put in a zip lock baggie. I then store the baggies in popcorn cans layered in dry sand between bags and put the lid on the cans. Then I put on a shelf in a cool basement.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"