Author Topic: Laundry Qu: Getting Tomato Sauce Out of Blue Jeans  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Laundry Qu: Getting Tomato Sauce Out of Blue Jeans
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »
OK, so I'm at Whole Foods, collecting free samples, and also a little cardboard box container of carry-out salad bar.  Some lady sees my van outside, and she's in need of wallpaper, so she's laying in wait, to ambush me when I go out to my van.

Starts talking about her wallpaper job, goes on and on, topic after topic, her mirrors, feng shui (sp?), hiring day laborers and how to screen for a good one, her sister, on and on, beyond the point of a business conversation, and I've got to get to a job about 20 miles away, and she's STILL yacking.

I drop my free sample cookie.   

She's still talking.

I'm getting fed up, and trying to extricate myself and head back to my van, when the free sample cup of deep red, rich chili tumples from its perch on top the slippery cardboard box, and splatters down my blue jean shorts and also the stretch cotton camisole top I'm wearing.

And she's STILL yacking!!!   I coulda run inside and at least rinsed it off, but she's in the middle of some yarn about something useless that she probably already said twice before.  Finally, pretty p*ssed off, I pretty well shouted at her, "I've got to GO!" and turned around and high-tailed it to my van. 

Definately will NOT do THAT wallpaper job!

Question:  How do I get the red stains out of my jeans and top?  I washed it once, using some spray stain remover stuff, in cold water and air dried - no dryer heat.  But the stains are still quite visible.

I'm really mad, partly because I like that pair of shorts, and partly becasue I had only bought that top two weeks prior, and partly because that lady went beyond RUDE.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Laundry Qu: Getting Tomato Sauce Out of Blue Jeans
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 04:58:40 PM »

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:06:16 PM »
As far as the red stains, here is what I do, it works every time. I pour 6 jiggers of good tequila into a blender over ice. Add 3 whole limes with the rind and 3 & 7 Ups. Order a chord of firewood and pile it all up in a big pile. Take the blender of hootch out to the backyard and douse the pile of wood with charcoal starter. Carefully place the stained garment on top of the pile and light it, drink the contents of the blender and then dance around naked under the moonlight until it settles into a warm red glow. Try not to pass out in the backyard so the mosquitos won't bite you.

In the morning, you won't care about those stains. I hope this has helped.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »
Oh geez, it must have been my neighbor but I can't figure out how she made it to Texas  @O@. She calls me everyday sometimes 3 or 4 times and it drives me stinkin nuts  >:(-. She yaps about the lives of friends of friends of friends to me in great detail and I sometimes never even say a word and she goes on and on and on...............I'm getting queasy thinking about it  :o. Once my DH answered and she said "Where is my Janice"? He said " I don't think you have a Janice!" He sometimes is straight up with her and tells her to shut up for a minute and listen to him  :swear: I just try to be nice to her and hope she runs out of breath soon  :-\. I don't have any stains but I may try Bullfrog's remedy anyway  O0 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:12:37 PM »
Oxy clean works for me, especially on the jeans.  Probably a soak, then put detergent directly on the stain.

On the white top, even tho' it's stretchy (probably spandex) a mild bleach solution with detergent later usually works for me.  Soak it for a while, in the sink, scrubbing it between your hands.  It's worth a try, since it's a favorite top!  Try the oxy on the top first too, then the bleach.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:23:33 PM »
I buy the store brand OXY cleaner at the Dollar General.

I add 3 heaping scoops to everything I wash and soak for about 15 minutes.  If I'm aware of a stain I will use a spray N wash product also.  I wore white shirts to work in the kitchen.  I got out spaghetti and pizza stains this way.  Check for remaining stains before drying.  If it is a grease type stain rub in dish washing liquid and let set overnight.

DS loved white T-shirts in high school.  He was patculiar about no stains.  He would mix waterless handcleaner and rubbing alchol in the palm of his hand and rub on any spots, roll up the shirt and toss it in the hamper.  I would simply wash as normal.  His shirts stayed snowy white.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:03:53 AM »
There's also a rub on stick that works wonders for me. (Spary & Wash makes one, but other brands do too)
Also, just using straight liquid detergent as a prewash, pouring some on, like Sue said,
rubbing it into the fibers a little, and letting it sit for a day works wonders.

I'm allergic to bleach as of 3 years ago, so can't use that any more.
Wouldn't use it on jeans anyway....would leave a bleach mark.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 05:21:36 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I'm clueless when it comes to home economics, and had never even heard of Oxy Clean.  Will pick some up today.

Think I'll save the tequila for my Galveston trip....

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:02:32 AM »
There's also a rub on stick that works wonders for me. (Spary & Wash makes one, but other brands do too)

YUP!!! The Spray 'n Wash Stain Stick with "Resolve power" is the best. Treat Now, Wash Later!  :)

It is especially effective on anything tomato (sauce, ketchup, salsa, etc). I think it's because it has enzymes that attack and "eat" stains. I've tried many different products but always come back to that one.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:48:13 AM »
Hydrogen peroxide.
We keep plenty of it around the fire station to help remove stains, particularly blood.

I also use a cleaning product called Greased Lightning. Its a degreaser but when I've been deseperate I've saturated stains with it and let it soak for a bit then washed and stains came out. I figured if it ruined the article of clothing it was no big deal as it was already ruined from the stain. I've saved many an article of clothing with this stuff.

Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"