Author Topic: Unique lily - N. Brooklyn Blue  (Read 1713 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Unique lily - N. Brooklyn Blue
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »
This is a plant that was a chance seedling grown by a friend - John Meeks from Waterford Gardens.
I think there are only a couple of these plants and i am so pleased that I have one. Its a huge, huge plant. It has a spread of 8 to 10 feet with pads 2 feet long by one foot wide. i would love to see what this plant would do in an earth bottom tropical pond. flowers are about 8 inches wide when the plant is given the chance to spread.

the colors are true to this plant in the early afternoon sun. this is a first day bloom and as the second and third day come, the flower flattens out quite nicely.

louis

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Unique lily - N. Brooklyn Blue
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
That is really pretty.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
i would love to see what this plant would do in an earth bottom tropical pond.
Well, then Louis, you'll have to send me one next year then!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
That is a beautiful flower - you are so lucky to have it!

We bought most of our pond equipment from Waterford Gardens,  so we know it pretty well.  You are referring to the one in NJ aren't you?, They have some wonderful plants there, and it's a great place to go browse and drool 8-)~ a bit!  Some day hopefully I'll be able to buy a pretty plant from there, but for now I get my parrots feathers there.

John is the owner, right?  If so, he has been very helpful to my husband and me.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »
That is a beautiful flower - you are so lucky to have it!

We bought most of our pond equipment from Waterford Gardens,  so we know it pretty well.  You are referring to the one in NJ aren't you?, They have some wonderful plants there, and it's a great place to go browse and drool 8-)~ a bit!  Some day hopefully I'll be able to buy a pretty plant from there, but for now I get my parrots feathers there.

John is the owner, right?  If so, he has been very helpful to my husband and me.

hi lynne,
john is no long at waterford gardens, and yes its in Joisey. john left a couple of years ago and i think his brother is running the place.

lou

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »
Hey Lou,

Have you heard anything from or about John of late?  I spoke with his friend Marc at Brooklyn Botanical earlier this summer and he didn't mention John...that was a first.

As i remember, John told me 'Brooklyn Blue' appeared in a pond of 'Wood's Blue Goddess'....seedling or sport he didn't know.  I think he said that at certain times of year the center changes to more resemble 'WBG', or am I mis-remembering that?

Congratulations on the award for 'Silver Moon', btw.  So what do you have planned to enter next year?<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 05:03:11 PM »
Hey Lou,

Have you heard anything from or about John of late?  I spoke with his friend Marc at Brooklyn Botanical earlier this summer and he didn't mention John...that was a first.

As i remember, John told me 'Brooklyn Blue' appeared in a pond of 'Wood's Blue Goddess'....seedling or sport he didn't know.  I think he said that at certain times of year the center changes to more resemble 'WBG', or am I mis-remembering that?

Congratulations on the award for 'Silver Moon', btw.  So what do you have planned to enter next year?<g>

hi craig,
no, i have not heard from john. i took a ride to waterford this past spring and asked for him. the only person working that day said that they had not heard from him.

he must have run away from home, again :)

lou

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:02:45 AM »
That's really nice.
Kind of reminds me of N. 'Alexis' and N. 'Sandra Lynn' which I really like.
I think he said that at certain times of year the center changes to more resemble 'WBG'
Now that would be cool to document with a photo spread as they are so different in shape.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »
That's really nice.
Kind of reminds me of N. 'Alexis' and N. 'Sandra Lynn' which I really like.
I think he said that at certain times of year the center changes to more resemble 'WBG'
Now that would be cool to document with a photo spread as they are so different in shape.

Tim

hi tim,

i will try before it gets too cold.

lou

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »
Thanks for your post, Louis.  Now I'm looking at the blooms in different ways ... I had never considered a flower "flattening out" over time... You've taught me something new!

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »
It is beautiful.

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 01:52:32 PM »
BEE-yoo-tee-ful! Love the blues. Don't have any here, but they are nice to look at.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"