Author Topic: The Grinch lives  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The Grinch lives
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/02/georgia.tot.slapped/index.html

I can see slapping the mom if she wasn't handling the situation appropriately. I CANNOT see slapping a two year old child.  {nono}

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: The Grinch lives
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:11:53 PM »
That's HORRENDOUS!  >:(   >:(-  :no:
I would beat the crap outta him if he had done that to Jamie.  &-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:30:57 PM »
Kinda stupid to think that hitting her would help her stop crying.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 04:17:12 PM »
He looks like a mean S.O.B and if I would'a been there I would have ................oh boy I don't know what but I wonder how he managed to live this long w/o somebody ripping his head off? I just can't imagine anyone like that wondering around on this earth.........he really is a grinch  >:(-

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »
Yeah, I can see slapping the mom too.  It's the parent's fault, they don't seem to care anymore if their kids bother everyone else.   I will get up and leave a restaurant if they won't remove or move a screaming kid, I'm not paying for the joy of listening to someone's brat that they refuse to control.  I was taught very young that I either behaved in a public place or I was removed and I think that is the way to do it.  It's a hassle for the mom but it is the right thing to do. 

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »
Yeah - I agree that the Mom should have either quieted the child or taken the child home.  I can't tell you how many shopping trips were cut short when my girls were young and misbehaved or lost it.  But that guy!  Wow!  All I have to say is I better never run into him in a store . . . . and he lives too damned close to me!

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:32:08 PM »
That is so mean. He should go to jail for that. Assaulting a child like that is reprehensible. A parent has the choice as to whether they will use corporal punishment for bad behavior (kid bad, spanking... I got spanked as a kid)... but spanking someone else's kid?!

But the strange thing is- what if the mother of this kid was truly a moron? Maybe it was the Mom that should have been chastised. What if the kid was grabbing every toy and saying "I want this!" and the mother was totally exasperated? Maybe she was a single mom (or any other kind of mom- as if it matters) who was unable to control the child's tantrums? What if the real story was not reported as actually happened? (Red Flag) We all know that stories like this are inaccurately reported. Maybe the mother thought she could file a lawsuit by accusing the ugly man who asked her to control her offspring?

I have my own Wal Mart story. When my son was 2, we were at Wal Mart and we had a great time shopping for sundries. It was really cold outside and when we were done at the checkout, my son refused his coat. I spent a good twenty minutes trying go get him to put his coat on to no avail. He flat-out refused. There was nothing I could do to get that coat on my boy. I am sure that at least 20 Wal Mart employees witnessed my attempts to get that coat on. We were hot, sweaty, and tired. I figured this would be a good learning moment (don't want the coat? then be cold), so I proceeded to go outside with my cart (heavy) and my kid (un coat-ed).
We weren't outside more than 5 seconds when people driving by started yelling at me. "Oh my God... put a coat on that poor child!", and "Put an effing coat on that thing!!!", and "what kind of mother are you?". Hello, I had just spent 20 minutes trying to put a coat on him already!

It only took me about 20 seconds to get to the car. And, 30 degree weather is not going to kill a child in the 20 seconds it takes to get to the car. He was fine. Not even cold, actually, since we were so hot to begin with. The cold air was refreshing. He was perfectly happy without a coat.

So, here we are now at age 7. He has learned (wow what a concept) that when he needs a coat, he needs a coat. He is occasionally swerved by the high school kids who insist that they don't need a coat when it's -18 F, but for the most part he chooses to wear a coat if it's really cold. I was so emotionally damaged by all those people yelling at me- but in the end my kid has become the ultimate decider of whether he would like a coat. How simple, how independent. It's the thing I strive for.  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 06:34:51 PM by karen J »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:08 PM »
If I had witnessed this I personally would have repeatedly kicked him in his balls. Every time he screamed, I would have kicked him again just to make him shut up and would have gladly been arrested for it. But that is just me.

Disclaimer. "Kicking a stranger in his balls in a store is a criminal offense punishable by fines as well as possible jail time. Legal repercussions could also ensue. However, it is a very gratifying experience when you find such an asshole who so desperately needs a good ball kicking.

Repeated ball kicking can lead to screaming, nausea, vomiting, swelling, excruciating pain, seizures, hallucinations and suicidal tendencies. Other than that, he should just be glad that I wasn't on the same aisle.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »
If someone had done that to one of MY babies,HE would be the next one crying.  >:(-

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:05:33 PM »
I'm afraid that I've been disturbed enough by a screaming/crying kid in public to think of hitting someone but usually it is the mother......

I asked to be moved to another table just last week at The Cheesecake Factory because a kid who was standing  up on his chair sneezed all over me before I could even sit down next to him. Coated my arm from elbow to fingers with snot. I almost threw up I was so disgusted. The mother didn't do a thing, didn't try to make him sit down, didn't try to cover his mouth/nose didn't apologize. Nothing. Just kept talking to her girlfriend who was ignoring her two kids too.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
In worked in a grocery store over 6 years. I got so tired of screaming kids. And you can bet the mothers never took them out of the store. And I for one do not want to hear screaming kids. In my day we would have took them out of the store and they knew what would happen when we got outside. But these new mothers do not make their kids mind. I blame the parents. And for him hitting the child that only got him in trouble. But a bet a lot of people feel like doing the same thing, only on their butts. But they don't do it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 06:59:57 AM »
All it took was once for my youngest to learn that I meant it when I told him to shut up in the store.

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »
I did lose it and yell at two kids, in front of their seeming to not care mother, some years back. The kids were around 8 years old. We were boarding a plane and they would just not stop - running, jumping, yelling - and that was the tolerable part. Immediate silence.

Some 13 hours later, landing in Hong Kong, the flight attendants brought me two very nice bottles of Champagne, wrapped and all, with a "Thank you, because we would not have been allowed to say something".

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »
I wish those mom's would grab a clue and keep those tots in control as it bugs the heck outta me when I see them screaming and throwing fits  >:(-. Just remove them from my view and hearing space please and let there be peace  :victory:. I'd like to dump a glass of cold water on the head of some mom's to just give them a bit of a wake up call  ::). I suppose I would get thrown in the gray bar hotel for that one  {-).

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
This is down another rabbit trail but still about kids in public areas. Today I went to a mall and as I was walking back to the car, I noticed a nice looking little girl around my granddaughter's age, 8. There was something about the look in her eyes so I slowed down and watched her out of the corner of my eye. She looked nervous so I asked her if she was lost and did she know where her mother was. She said she had been in that store but didn't think she was any more. I told her to go back into the store and look and I would stay right there to help her if her mother wasn't there. She came back out and said she couldn't find her. I said that maybe mother was trying on something in the fitting room to try to make her not feel so lost. She started to kind of cry a little and I knew better than to try to get her to leave that spot to go to the security desk. Didn't want to scare her, or anybody else,  into thinking this old lady was going to "snatch" her. I told her not to worry because "the people who worked in the store" would know how to find her mother. Figured they could call security. Just then a lady with a store ID tag around her neck came up and asked me if the girl was lost. I told the little girl that this lady worked at that store and would help her find her mother and I left. A few minutes later as I was eating lunch, I heard them paging for a lady and saying for her to go to the security desk. I sat there shaking my head because I can't imagine losing a child that size and can't imagine a child that size losing their mother. That should be an experience they'll both not soon forget.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 03:44:57 PM »
Thank God for people like you Esther. I can't imagine loosing a child this age either but it does happen.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 04:04:17 PM »
That would be scary alright. Sometimes the little ones hide in the clothes racks and then poor mom thinks they've left the store. She goes off calling for them and they think it's funny and just stay hidden til it's too late. I guess you just have to put them on a leash and handcuff them to you  :-\. I always hated those things (kid leashes) but in today's world maybe you have to use them for peace of mind  :o.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »
I don't think they had kid leashes when I was young.  I remember hanging off the back pocket of my Dad's trouser with one hand in order to not get lost but still get to look around without having to see if I was still behind him as he sped around the store.  I don't ever remember doing that with my Mom...either she never went to the store or maybe she didn't mind holding my hand... ?)(?

I did get lost the day I let go of that back pocket and was too short to see the top of his head above the aisles. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
I've watched that show "Jon and Kate plus 8" and those kids have to hold each others hands whenever they go out in public and mom has them holding hers also. They will never lose those kids tho as they always have the camera people following them everywhere  ::). The kids seem to have good manners also  :). Now the Octomom is another story  :thinking:. She loses hers often I bet  :search:. Her house is in chaos from the times I've seen it  :boxing:. She seems to take it all in stride............but then I think she may be nuts  :woot:. Come on you have to be crazy to have that many kids that fast  :tease:

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
Yeah Janice--or how about that woman who is expecting her 19th child and she just couldn't be happier:  :thinking: and she and her husband are also expecting their first grandchild.   :really:

Sorry, I'm off topic....
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »
Some of the considerations about the woman with the 18 kids, is that they are supporting them financially and emotionally. Of course the other kids do help out a lot but those kids are going to know how to handle what life gives them as they get out on their own. She/they begin teaching them from day one to be responsible and how to do everything that it takes to run a household. She home schools too.

I'm not saying everybody should have 18 kids or that everybody should homeschool. But they seem to be able to handle what they've been given.

I was raised that way and I was an only child. But not many kids are taught how to do what it takes to live. An awful lot of them have to figure it out by themselves.

My boys cooked and did laundry. I actually had typed up a set of instructions that hung over the washer in the laundry room. There was no excuse for not knowing how to do the laundry.

As for Kate, she does a pretty good job of organizing their lives I guess. It is sad what is happening to them. I won't get into my opinion on that one.

And the doctor who arranged the babies for the Octomom should have his head examined----let alone the woman.

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »
I agree that the doctor who allowed that octomom to have more kids should have his head examined or his license suspended.  I also think the people with the 18+ kids are nuts, and inconsiderate.  It is just obnoxious to have that many kids in these days.  There is no excuse for it except selfishness and egotism.  We just don't need that much of anyone's genes in this pool. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »
Well fortunately or unfortunately, we all can legally make choices when it comes to having children. The people I think are inconsiderate are the ones who can't afford the children and expect the government (us) to not only pay for them but others to raise and love them too.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 01:58:34 PM »
Esther, I have seen that show "18 kids and counting" and they are very responsible people when it comes to raising all those kids. They have high morals and manners and they must have lots of money as they live very nicely. I myself would go bazerko if I had any more than 2 but I hold no grudge against those who can provide and raise that many kids and do such a good job  O0. Octomom on the other hand is just plain from Loonesville  :tease:

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 12:02:52 PM »
I did lose it and yell at two kids, in front of their seeming to not care mother, some years back. The kids were around 8 years old. We were boarding a plane and they would just not stop - running, jumping, yelling - and that was the tolerable part. Immediate silence.

Some 13 hours later, landing in Hong Kong, the flight attendants brought me two very nice bottles of Champagne, wrapped and all, with a "Thank you, because we would not have been allowed to say something".

Cheers,

Mike
I'll remember that next time.  What I wouldn't do for a bottle of champagne!  :D ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"