Author Topic: Bowl lotus  (Read 2159 times)

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bowl lotus
« on: September 08, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »
Are bowl lotus tropical or hardy? How do I overwinter them? If they are of tropical origin will they survive in a greenhouse? Should I keep them up off the floor? Do they need a dormant period? Thanks for any help.
Kay

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bowl lotus
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
Kay -
I have a bowl lotus that I leave outside all year round.  I all lotus are hardy perennials and do need a dormant period. 

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
Kay, make sure that your lotus tubers do not freeze during the winter. You can move the pot to a deeper part of the pond, or keep the pot in a place where it will not freeze. I move mine into the greenhouse and allow them to go dormant, but not freeze. They are placed on the floor in the tubs they were potted in. Do not try to divide them or transplant them unless they are dormant. They do need a dormant period, or a time to rest. I do not know of a tropical bowl lotus, but chances are, you do not have a tropical lotus.  There are not a lot of them in the hobby in the US.
You may check with the person that gave you the lotus to find out for sure.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
Thanks for the information. The bowl lotus that I have came from you, Frank. So they are hardy. I'll put them in the greenhouse.
They didn't bloom this year but I imagine they will next year.
Thanks again. (good to see you here Teresa :))
Kay

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »
Kay, The only tropical lotus I have is one that I did not try to sell this year, and it is called Cambodium Nellum. If it is one of the lotuses that you received from me, it definitely is hardy. If it did not bloom this year, it should bloom next year, and every year thereafter. I like the look of the plant itself, so I do not worry if they do not bloom the first year. The bloom is definitely better, though, and well worth waiting for. Sometimes plants just have to "settle in" and "stretch their roots" before they decide to bloom.  ;D I am glad yours has done well in growing, and should store well over the winter.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:00:21 PM »
Good deal.  :) Thanks for selling such nice lotuses. I'm glad they are hardy. I wasn't sure what to do with them if they weren't.
Good luck with your September planting. I'll be interested to see how they do.
Kay

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
Do I let the water in the pot dry up? My greenhouse is heated, is that going to be a problem?

The lotus I tried to overwinter last year rotted. I kept the pot full of water three inches over the soil all winter.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
Leeanne,
   How warm does it stay in your greenhouse? I'm going to leave water over mine but I'll be interested to see what others think.
Kay

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:28:39 AM »
LeeAnne, your lotus will die down during the winter, but the tubers should start growing in the spring. Sometimes a plant will die and not come back, but if you kept them in a greenhouse where the tuber cannot freeze it normally will survive. I keep water over my plants also about three inches deep. Do not let the tubers get dry.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 12:40:54 PM »
Frank,
  Can I move tubers before Fall to a smaller container for the winter? I have one that seems to be going dormant but the tubers are still firm.
Kay

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »
Once the plant is dormant, and the tuber is not growing, you can divide the tubers, or repot the tubers in a larger or smaller container. Just make sure the plant is dormant. Repot in a big enough container next spring before the plant comes out of dormancy.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
Thanks!
Kay

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »
I keep my greenhouse above 55*.

Last year's lotus never sprouted this year and when I finally dumped out the pot it was a very stinky rotten mess. One of the worst rot smells I've ever smelled.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:27:04 PM »
One of mine did that. It is a horrid smell. I'm going to try to keep more of my tropical plants in there this year.
Kay

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 09:56:40 AM »
I use a hand truck and move all mine into the attached garage for the winter.
All my lotus are in half barrels and other containers.
I stack the lighter ones atop the barrel containers using planks and plywood.
Including all my semi-tropical bog planters, mini hardy lilies, it all takes up one wall,
about 20 feet long and 3 feet wide.
The garage gets VERY cold, down to freezing quite a bit but never enough
to cause any ice on the stacked planters up against the back wall.
Our garage is built into the bluff/slope, so the back wall is insulated/underground and up against the basement wall.
I rarely add water...just keep the soil soggy-damp. No standing water needed.

Back at our old house, the garage was attached, but just by a tiny bit of house so it would freeze a bit too much.
We bought one of those space heaters with a thermostat setting which would keep the air just above freezing at all times.
We kept it on all winter, using the 2 car garage for our cars too, just opening the doors for a shot period to park or leave.
Did not notice a big increase in our electric bill either.  8)

I think if you do not keep lotus cold enough while dormant, they rot.
So a 55* greenhouse would be too warm because many bacteria and fungus are active at those temps, which will rot the tubers.
So the lotus must be kept very cold, as close to freezing as possible to keep the bacteria and fungus dormant too.
(which is how they overwinter ion their natural habitat)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 01:06:40 PM »
The first year I tried to keep mine in the pots in the basement which stays probably 40 degree.. they all rotted.  I have many tubs/containers of lotus and have never lost one that I left outside.  The ones that I have in pots, I just dig a small hole the size of the pot  and sit the pot down in the ground, some of my pots are very shallow so if its been super cold for long periods like 20 or so, I take a garbage bag of leaves and just lay over top the pots in the ground.  I keep a few bags of leaves just for that occasion but dont put them on unless its been very cold.    I believe leannne going by what mine did yours would defiantely rot at 55 degrees.

tink

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 07:22:54 PM »
I have put lotus in my basement and the coldest it got was 55* or 50* and it was dark. I kept soil just damp. They did not rot. So it works sometimes for some people.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »
I'll just put it outside or in the shed and see what happens.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"