Author Topic: Squirrel attack on lilies >:(-  (Read 1188 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Squirrel attack on lilies >:(-
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:12:13 AM »
I don't believe it. if its not the deer, its the heron, then the mink, then the dogs, then the kids, then the big city people, then its the raccoons and now its the squirrels.

I was wondering what was tearing the lilies, i had a hunch it was these guys and this morning caught him in the act. the photo is very bad, because it was taken from behind glass.

cute little buggers though.

louis

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Squirrel attack on lilies >:(-
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:45:15 AM »
They are cute. I had one come up and steal the prunings from the lily pond. I looked down and there he was just munching away. He scared me being so close.
Kay

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:46 AM »

What on earth are they doing with the lilies?  Eating them?  Whodathunkit?

Here, they're about to start rummaging in all the potted plants  {nono} , to bury their autumn stash of nuts. There was a BIG hole in my lady palm pot this morning, with soil tossed all out and over the rim.  >:(

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »

What on earth are they doing with the lilies?  Eating them?  Whodathunkit?

Here, they're about to start rummaging in all the potted plants  {nono} , to bury their autumn stash of nuts. There was a BIG hole in my lady palm pot this morning, with soil tossed all out and over the rim.  >:(

hi julles, they are eating the pads and the buds.

lou

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »
Today in my pond the caterpillars are back.  I have no idea how they get to the lily pads out there in the middle of open water, but once there, they can completely devour a lily pad in about one day.  Not so bad if they stick to one pad, but I'm less happy when they put holes in several of them.  I get happier when they turn into butterflies and leave my pads alone.

Say, did any of you ever marvel at how LARGE the body size of catterpillars are, compared to the butterflies they become?   

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »
Well at least they can only get the ones around the edge as I don't believe they can swim or at least they don't choose to  ;D. What a cute picture and there is nothing wrong w/ the way that picture turned out either  O0. I always ask everyone what kind of camera they have so....................could you please tell me? I'm going to get one come this December or January so I'm in the need to know mode..........thanks  :).

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »
Well at least they can only get the ones around the edge as I don't believe they can swim or at least they don't choose to  ;D. What a cute picture and there is nothing wrong w/ the way that picture turned out either  O0. I always ask everyone what kind of camera they have so....................could you please tell me? I'm going to get one come this December or January so I'm in the need to know mode..........thanks  :).

hi janice,
i used a pocket camera called the canon G-10

louis

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
Thank you Louis............boy Canon is very popular on this forum  :). So far I have listed to check out:  Canon Power Shot SD790IS
                                                                                                                                           Canon A550
                                                                                                                                           Canon SD 1200
                                                                                                                                           Canon G-10
If anyone else has any preferences for an easy to use type please let me know, it would be much appreciated  ;D.

Offline maryvonne

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »
Wow you certainly have your problems with the critters. I have noticed tear marks on some of our lily pads close to the edge of the pond. We have lots of squirrels here but never thought they could be responsible.
Very cute one though. You got a good shot too.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"