Author Topic: fish with problem  (Read 1817 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
fish with problem
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:56:54 AM »
we have ten comets but for the last week when feeding them only eight have responded except for once a few days ago all ten were visible . this morning there were eight for breakfast plus one that was separated from group . lone one was on pond bottom lethargic and just kind of hanging there ''panting'' for lack of more accurate term also long fins appear to be shredded . we've had one or two disappear for a few days and reappear ,later we found little fishies . tenth fish is not to be found but i'm sure it's there . your thoughts would be appreciated . .. .. .peace

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: fish with problem
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 05:41:54 AM »
I have comets also and notice that kind of behavior only around the change of seasons.  I only lost 1 fish this year -- wish I knew why, but most tilmes you don't.  A couple of them were hanging out on the bottom sort of on their sides in the early spring with a lot of temperature fluctuations.  They came out of it though.  It could be spawning (I don't know what zone you are in) with the shredded fins.  My goldfish aren't overly aggressive during spawning, although those with koi have mentioned that the males run the females ragged.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:53:01 AM »
sylvania,ohio= zone 5 and thank you

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:00:15 AM »
You're in Sylvania??!!  Yay, a local ponder!  I'm Toledo  @O@

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:43:30 AM »
Wow, I'm in Ohio too, the season's winding down here.  I have a couple of tiny fish from this year's spawn, only a few make it each year.  The other larger comets eat them (thankfully) or I would be overrun with fish.  I don't really know how late fish spawn in the season.  Do you have a cat that will stick its paws in the water to play with the fish and maybe shred fins?
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
was just brushing pond and saw the fish with problem and it has an ''ulcer'' like spot where tail meets body . spot goes across entire side [top to bottom not front to back] it's about size of a nickle . think i also found the tenth fish and if so it is similar [lost track of ninth but pretty sure tenth fish was not ninth for second time [confused?] . looks like lamprey spot but of course isn't . just concerned it's going to be an epidemic . used to have occasional problem in aquariums but nothing like this and nothing i couldn't solve . .again thanks . . . .peace

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 12:38:53 PM »
I just had a couple of fish with lumps on them and they were acting kinda standoffish and they eventually died but so far the others are fine. Don't have any idea what it could be...........maybe just a genetic defect having to do w/ low immune system or some such thing? Really I'm just grasping as I have not a clue  :(. Hope yours come through ok  8).

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
If it's an ulcer type wound, or open at all, or even an abrasion, it should be treated.  Remove the fish and quarantine it, and put salt in the water.  Someone here will give the correct ammount of salt.  Be sure there is aeration, and keep the water clean.  You can also buy medicated food, that helps fight infection.

I treated a fish successfully this way last year.  One interesting thing - while he was quarantined in salted water, he faded and changed color.  He went to a new home after he was healed up, so I don't know if his original color came back.

This year I had fish with little bumps, one per fish, not open sores and not tiny like ich, but under the skin, pushing the scales up.  On both fish, the bumps eventually went away. 

I've lost three fantails in the last few weeks, and one just this morning.  Maybe it IS the change in the weather. 

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:28:23 PM »
All I can think of is something I experienced last season.  My top pond acts sort of like a settling chamber (unintentionally), and it had fish in it.  The water was doing so well, I never suspected.  Anyhow, I was doing some lily pruning - I just hop in - and went ankle deep in fish poo  :P  I immediately relocated all the fish in there to do a complete clean-out.  While netting them I noted a few fish with those sores.  I believe it was the icky water quality.  With a good cleaning, and a close eye ever since for build-up, they have never recurred.  When was your last water change?  Got sludge on the bottom?  It may be something simple you just never noticed before.  I felt horrible, but these guys survived my turtle, so they're fighters  o(:-)  Good luck, and I'm glad you're local!  We'll have to swap plants in the spring  @O@

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 06:32:08 PM »
melafix does it and feed them medicated food......
lorraine

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16:33 AM »
no sludge , zero , none . one fishie has gone to big pond in the sky . have to go check others now, been out washing a couple of the wifes cars ,multiple cars not wives ,unfortunately. .. .. .. truly appreciate your help . .. . .. peace

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »
Ulcers and shredded fins is a sign of poor water quality. You need to test. Just because it is clear, and clean doesn't mean it is good quality. PH, ammonia, KH, Nitrites, Nitrates.

The " panting " could mean that they need more oxygen in the water. ( or on it's way out)

Melafix (IMHO)is poison. It gets in the lining of the gills and makes it harder for fish to take in oxygen. Using it on a fish that is already having a hard time will kill it for sure.

I"m only going by what I have experienced, but those small lumps I have found out to be Anchor worms on my fish. Unless they are Wakin they also get some kind of  lump on them. So far all we owners can figure is that it is some kind of genetic thing, but don't know for sure. Anchor worms are carried into the pond mostly by birds such as in my case. Also can come from other critters such as frogs, toads, or anything that gets into the water. Anchor worms left untreated will eventually lead to sores on the body. 

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
i've isolated other ill fishie . we used to have a number of aquariums and folks back then used to up salt content and add a few pennies under assumption the copper would do in any parasites . lady at pond place looked at deceased fishie with microscope this morning and found nothing conclusive [ actually nothing period] . . again thanks .. ..peace

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"